Immigration Debate

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by v8eyedoc, Nov 2, 2011.

1. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lets be realistic. If you come to the US in any form and end up eligible for citizenship you have the option of taking the citizenship exam in youri native language.

Go to Mexico and you better know the answer to the citizenship questions in Spanish. Don't even thing of trying to answer or get the question in English. You will be thrown out of Immigration instantly. This is the same in every other country except the US. Actually in Canada you have 2 languages and depending on which province you are in that is the language the test will be given in. So if you don't want to learn French don't take the test in Quebec.

We in the US have become too open for our own sake. Now there is nothing wrong with accepting people in the country LEGALLY but to bend over backwards for their individual needs and desires we are losing our identity of being Americans. When you come here and want to live here you need to become and American and whatever other nationality you may be second. And if you are not willing to give up that nationality then perhaps you should not enter the US.

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabesz: Or you just slip the INM some cash and viola - your test result magically appears as a pass. :)

A few years ago, when talking to a friend in NY whom works as a teacher, she said that the US didnt have an official language, "by law".

Im curious if this is still the case?

Most countries accept dual citizenships, and Im quite sure the US does as well.

(Sweden didnt allow dual citizenship until after 2001.)

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Right, on the first point, Rawkus, no official language.

As to the second point, a U.S. citizen can acquire another citizenship; the problem comes trying to go the other way because, when a foreign national takes the oath of allegiance, as part of the U.S. naturalization process, he "fore swears all foreign allegiances". Whether taking U.S. citizenship works a divestiture of the former citizenship seems to depend on the law of that country.

Mexico, as I understand it, has no issue with your taking a U.S. citizenship, and the oath does not cause you to lose your Mexican citizenship: other countries, like Germany, are not so understanding when one of their own wants to "leave the fold", as they see it.

This is my take on this somewhat confusing issue.

4. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting this information from? As far as I'm aware, you have to take the citizenship test in English. In fact, a requisite for the exam is your ability to read, write and speak English.

USCIS- Study for the Test

There may be exceptions/exemptions, but I don't think they're liberally given.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am getting a headache.

6. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio: Im glad we at least agree that "majority" is not the same as "all" ;)

I myself, am more critical to my fellow, young and healthy Swedes, that simply refuse to do anything. They know the language(dooh), have an education, are integrated(dooh #2) and such.

An asylum seeker in Sweden(example only), has to wait for papers, thus, has no choice but to receive help. Its against Swedish law to "be homeless" etc. A certain amount HAS to be available for EVERY person living in Sweden, according to that law.

Our former govt wanted to push young Swedes into doing stuff such as highway cleaning etc, in exchange for their social welfare check, but the new Govt stopped that, stating "poor things, its not easy for them"... THAT pisses me off way more than any immigrant that would do the same, haha.

Im curious as to why the US doesnt have an official language(yet?). I would never have guessed that.

To round it off: Sorry about the loss of your friend. You told me about it, and its NEVER easy to lose a really good friend. Hope you can return one day and get past it and let Cancun make you feel good again. If you do, let me know - Ill provide the beer. :)

Cheers.

7. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know of at least 20 people who do not speak English and took the test in Italian, German, Portugese, Spanish, French and Farsi. They are indeed older folks who wanted to become a citizen of the US to show "they are part of America" where they live. Though the rule is your should be able to write, read and speak English the regrettable situation is that this is not enforced to the letter. If it was there would be far less American Citizens today. And yes indeed this is liberally given especially to the Spanish Speaking public.

8. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish the US would make people work as well, but the problem here is the same as in Sweden. Many Americans feel they are too good for highway cleaning since its not an easy job. No wonder that we are full of illegal laborers doing work that highly lazy Americans refuse to do since its too hard to do the job. We have become an incredibly lazy nation.

As for English not being an official language, blame the lazy congress who are afraid to pass such a law since it offends non English speaking individuals. And if their rights are violated that is something that we who only speak English should not be upset with in any form. Of course our rights do not matter in this case.

I think we ought to put the politicians on the highways to clean them up and see their lazy behinds working for a change instead of collecting a lifetime of perks once they get into an office.

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio: When Canadian friends of mine say "oh, you have no clue how bad Canadian bureaucracy is", I always laugh, thinking about Swedish paper pushing... :D

Its a messed up situation: Give them a temporary working visa or similar, as they, contrary to lazy Swedes, WANT to work. There are always jobs back home, yet its hard for companies to fill the positions:

"Ok, we have several foreigners that could do this job, easily." Govt says "No, first lets get them papers. Be prepared to wait minimum 5 years..."

"Ok, well, we found a good match with some young people whom are currently unemployed. Let talk to them!" "Huh? Me cleaning buses at the bus depot? For US$3000/month plus benefits? No way, that sh*ts boring...." Govt says "Well, if they dont want to do it, then theres nothing we can do..." Retardation on a high level, if you ask me.

There are cases where people have lived in Sweden for more than 16 years, only to be denied to stay in the end... 16 years. Its madness.

About Cancun: My bad, must have interpreted it wrong. I hope you can come down and find something in life that you are looking for, be it delicious fish-tacos or ice cold beer at a cenote, hehe ;)

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabesz: Maybe the people you know qualified for one/some of the exceptions?

USCIS - Exceptions & Accommodations

I cant find anything that says that one can pass the English test with any other language than.... English.

From what Ive read, pushing English to be the official language, doesnt seem to be of much importance, for some reason? Democrats, Repubs etc. - Havent heard any serious push for it. I would assume the Repubs would be very in favor of it? All this made me curios. Might do some late night Google to see what other nations around the world has in place. :)

When it comes to pushing people on welfare to "do chores":

Back home the Govt hands out "seasonal work visas"(not the proper name...). We get a big bunch of people from Thailand that come and pick berries etc.

Wouldnt that be a step in the right direction in US as well? Clearly, you guys also have the same issues when it comes to people whom see themselves as "too fancy for this". Maybe temporary working visas exist already. If so, then disregard my text on the subject. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice