imm at terminal 3

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancunroberto, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much Kim and TJ for the great information. What a pain in my hind parts just to go out of town for 5 days! I will be sure to make copies and have them stamped too. This is assuming I have my letter in time to leave the country...long story.

Thanks!

2. Kris in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, just an update on how great things work with Imm at Terminal 3...

I arrived at 5:15 am for my 7 am flight and waited in line at the ticket counter (since I read that Imm doesn't open until 7am). After waiting in line for over 30 minutes, the guy at the front told me I had to go to the Imm office to get my letter stamped before they would allow me at the ticket counter. I told him the office wasn't open yet...he argued with me that it was open and that I had to go to the office before being allowed at the ticket counter. I could see it was a lost cause to argue with him. So, grabbed all my stuff and headed down to the Imm office...which, was, of course, CLOSED!!! Headed back (with all my stuff, and in heels!!!) and went straight to the ticket counter...was told that they would issue my ticket, but that I had to go to the Imm office before I could leave the country. The tkt counter rep told me to go to her supervisor and have her call someone on duty with IMM. Did that...Anyways, this is a very long, and typical story, where NOTHING WORKS!!! Finally, after going over the river and through the woods...got my letter stamped and left the country on time (barely).
    When I came back, I had the husband of a certain poster as my Imm agent...he said, "don't I know you?". At least coming back into the country was without any problems!

3. Kris in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, just an update on how great things work with Imm at Terminal 3...

I arrived at 5:15 am for my 7 am flight and waited in line at the ticket counter (since I read that Imm doesn't open until 7am). After waiting in line for over 30 minutes, the guy at the front told me I had to go to the Imm office to get my letter stamped before they would allow me at the ticket counter. I told him the office wasn't open yet...he argued with me that it was open and that I had to go to the office before being allowed at the ticket counter. I could see it was a lost cause to argue with him. So, grabbed all my stuff and headed down to the Imm office...which, was, of course, CLOSED!!! Headed back (with all my stuff, and in heels!!!) and went straight to the ticket counter...was told that they would issue my ticket, but that I had to go to the Imm office before I could leave the country. The tkt counter rep told me to go to her supervisor and have her call someone on duty with IMM. Did that...Anyways, this is a very long, and typical story, where NOTHING WORKS!!! Finally, after going over the river and through the woods...got my letter stamped and left the country on time (barely).
    When I came back, I had the husband of a certain poster as my Imm agent...he said, "don't I know you?". At least coming back into the country was without any problems!

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kris,

Well at least it had a happy ending. The letter needs to go to IMM before you go to the ticket counter, just as if you had the FM3 in hand. The letter just takes its place during the application process. I re-read my post and was not clear on this. Sorry.

I thought IMM had to be open to that any passengers could be accomodated. You would have had the same problem if you had your FM3 as you did with the letter. You still need the FME (red form)

Your post will remind me not to fly too early. Another thing I do is to keep a couple of FME's on hand, and have it filled out before I get to the airport. That way, whether there is a line or not, it saves some time.

5. Kris in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the problem is that time of morning is a shift change, and so there is no one to be found. I knew I had to have the letter stamped before I could leave, but was under the impression that the office was closed that early in the morning, and that the ticket agent could call someone down to stamp me right at the ticket counter (information listed in another post). Oh well...live and learn. I almost always take that early morning flight, so next time I'll be ready!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I just got a fresh lecture on this from someone in the know.

In Terminal 2, the old terminal, the Alfa office (exit office) opens at 7 am, in theory. The main INM office is in that terminal, meaning the people working the nightshift are there. So in T2 if you need to get something from INM prior to 7 am you have to go to the main INM office, which the airline will help you find (maybe, if they are in the mood, etc).

In Terminal 3 that Alfa office (exit office) is supposed to open at 5 am. This means agents working the nightshift come from T2 to T3 at 5 am. Sometimes they come late (meaning they oversleep, or are busy checking in a flight). But, in theory, that office opens at 5 am, in reality 5:30 is more realistic.

Now, there is a shift change, in both terminals at 7 am. The agents in T3 have to go to T2 to sign out. So they leave the T3 Alfa office at 6:45 am or so in order to get back to T2 so they can leave on time (remember they make no money so you can't blame them for wanting to leave on time after working a nightshift).

The next shift comes on at 7 am, but they have to stop in T2 to sign in and get orientation for the day. So they don't make it to the Alfa office in T2 or in T3 until 7:15 or 7:30. There is a gap of at least half an hour in T3 most days. And in T2 Alfa opens at 7:15 in reality, not at 7 as it should.

If I posted something else before it was inaccurate. This is the real poop. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Kris in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys, I appreciate all the information. Without it, I would have not had a clue on where to go or what to do, etc. 2 years later, everything here is still a learning process (mostly, because things constantly change...but, that's another thread).

Many thanks...
    Kris

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice