I'm back to the forum! With a few questions....

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by brandon_wsc, May 23, 2006.

?

Best side trip in Cancun

1. Chichen Itza

100.0%
  2. Talum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Xel Ha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Isla Mujeres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was there in February and the turtle farm was up and running. If it's not there now, something else happened to it.

2. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chitzen Itza is a must and it's not even close. If you are going to make one excursion, this is where you go. If you were in Eqypt for a week and could only go on one trip, would you go to the pyramids and the sphinx or would you go to a cute little town to shop and drink?

[​IMG]

3. Angie

Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome Back Brandon...I think I did the same thing as MichaelF...had to look twice. Congrats on getting married!!!! My choice was Isla. I would just go over on the ferry, rent a golf cart and explore the island. One thing I would like to do there that I have not done yet, is the zipline tour...that looks like soooo much fun.

4. Nonie

Nonie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We really liked the Captain Hook Pirate thing for dinner, their were a lot of honeymooners there, also. There is another Pirate Adventiure thing that actually goes to Isla Mujeres, also. My honey & I did that on our honeymoon back in 98 - It was a blast!
    Good idea, for a relaxing day. I have never done the lobster/sunset dinner cruise - but have heard it is nice, too.

When we went ti Chichen Itza, we did the private tour and it was great - we went through a local town and bought all of our best souvenirs, there. It was called Valladolid. We also had a tour guide named Rafael at Chichen Itza. He was VERY knowledgable and shown us many tings while there - things we'd never have known if just walking it alone... HTH!!
    Have a great time!

5. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not a cancun first timer, just a different kind of trip this time. I had done Isla mujeres on a booze cruise once, but that would be totally different than the trip I would take now. Is the ferry easy to find and cheap? Run often?

I stayed at the hotel casa maya last time, which is right by the huge flag and where the captian hook cruise leaves from. Last trip about 20 of us flashed it as we cruised by. This time I may look into actually being on the boat.

I've also done Chichen Itza in the past, about 8 years ago I think. It is definitely worth another visit, and my fiancee has never been. She would love to get out and explore the ruins, see vallavoid ont the way over, and climb el Castillo. That will definitely be one of the trips. I think the other major one will be talum/xelha.

:?: One question though on chichen itza.....should I do the light show, is it worth the extra 2 hours?

Thanks again for all the help.

6. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And one more thing... how do you pronounce Xel-Ha? I speak pretty good spanish, but that word is mayan. Is the first word pronounced shell? That is what I can remember from studying the mayan language.

7. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    shell-ha

I've heard locals say "eshell-ha"

8. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about xcaret then. I have no idea how to pronounce that.

9. Scott in NH

Scott in NH Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As of this past February, they are no longer allowing climber on El Castillo.

I found the light show to be very tacky and not worth the time.

Xcaret = Ishcaray

10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you will like the Royal Sunset. It's not one of those HUGE mega resorts that stuff a zillion people in the rooms & only have 2 tiny restaurants. They built it to accommodate the number of rooms they have. Food was excellent when I was there. I really liked it.

If you go to Isla, get Laura's map of the island. It has the answer to all the questions you posted, as well as a suggested route to drive around the island to see everything in one fell swoop. Well worth the investment

Michelle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice