I'm back to the forum! With a few questions....

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by brandon_wsc, May 23, 2006.

?

Best side trip in Cancun

1. Chichen Itza

100.0%
  2. Talum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Xel Ha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Isla Mujeres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone, I was a spring break moderator a couple years ago and am back for some info before my next trip to the cun. I went to cancun for spring break in 2003 and thoroughly loved it. I am quite a changed man though now, I'm coming this time for a honeymoon! My parents generously booked us into the Royal Sunset for this trip on July 29th.

:arrow: First question: Any info on the Royal sunset or the sister resort sunset lagun? I have read a thousand reviews, some glowing some furious. You guys were the most accurate in the past.

:arrow: Second question. I was just a spring breaker there to have a great and mostly drunken time last time. I would like to do a more civilized trip this time. Which tours do you guys recommend my new wife and I experience and who should I go through? I have done Chichen Itza a decade ago and will probably do that again(take the organized tour or just try the bus). How do Xel Ha and Talum rate? Is there a souber tour of Isla mujeres(done the booze cruz :) )? You guys always have the best info.

You guys are the best, I'm glad to be back

brandon

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had to blink twice before I posted. Saw you lurking before you started the thread...congratulations! :D

As far as Isla goes...were you more interested in an organized tour/trip with snorkeling and open bar (seems all Isla excursions have that) or did you want to get the scoop on ferry times/prices, golf cart recommendations, and all that good stuff?

3. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello!

I've done the Isla booze cruise before, it was a blast. My fiancee is a none drinker, so open bar isn't a concern. I still think she would enjoy the trip over though. We had a really nice time snorkeling and just getting out last time. Just wondered what else there was to do on the island but the sun, snorkel and drinking that I did last time. Is there other alternatives to the typical booze cruise offers? It was a good time, just wondering if there is an alternative.

4. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeh, some peeps can take or leave the open bar part. It's there, but doesn't mean you have to do drink anything.

Touring around on a golf cart is great fun for a couple. At least...it was for me and the wife on our own honeymoon. If you just straight-out try to drive around the whole island with no stops, it can take an hour or so. Playa Norte is about the best-looking beach in the area (including nearby Cancun), The little town on the island is loaded with places to haggle for bargains. There are quaint little restaurants and watering holes scattered all about. The south point of the island has a lighthouse, a small Mayan ruin and an arch in the rocks that makes for nice pics. West side of the island is mostly nice beaches and quiet water. To the east you see nothing but the Gulf of Mexico with waves crashing and a more dramatic scene. The famous seashell house is on the drive along that side of the island. Garrafon Park includes some fun with I think zip lines over the water and a turtle farm(?). You can find on the west side a quiet spot where you can "swim with a shark" for a small fee and a picture opportunity.

Ultimately, just pick out one or two "must do's" for the Isla trip and then wing the rest of it. Exploring the island was fun as anything else we did on our own trip there.

5. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So you can just take a shuttle over and then just improvise your own trip? Were do you find the shuttle and how often does it run? How much is the golf-cart? Thanks for all the advice.

Did you do any of the other trips while on your honeymoon. Any suggestions?

6. Takami826

Takami826 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea, we took the bus to one of the ferry docks, bought our RT ferry tickets, hopped on board and ferried over to Isla. We hooked up with Prisma (to rent golf carts) and tooled around it took about 1.5hrs cuz we took our time and hit topes as fast as we could :lol:

The turtle farm, sadly, perished in Wilma. There's nothing left there but a building and a place to pull over and let your group catch up with you.

Great scenery after you get past the light house, too. Nice drive. Loads of fun.

I would definitely improvise.

To answer about carts, we paid $40-$50 (I can't recall) for 2 carts for 2 hours. It was cheaper than the guy on the ferry who wanted a credit card and $40/2 hrs per cart. Prisma is easy. You just leave your driver's license, pay, and off you go. You get your receipt and license back when you return the cart. No problems. Very friendly people we dealt with.

7. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to the Royal Sunset about 3 years ago. It was a very nice hotel. Good location. And it was very nice. Spotless, and the food was good. And the staff was excellent. And the rooms well, they were huge. I know they have time share rooms there, but we must have gotten one. It was a kitchen plates and all, with a microwave, great for left over pizza the next morning.. :lol:

And the food in the restaurant was great..

8. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did Tulum on my honeymoon, but that was packaged with a trip to Xpu-Ha Palace. In your case you might also do a combo, but it would be Tulum/Xel Ha. Knock out two birds with one stone...it's a day-long excursion that way. Otherwise, Tulum alone is such a long drive to see a small (but picturesque) ruin. Gotta make that a combo tour.

9. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    chichen Itza is a must.

10. brandon_wsc

brandon_wsc Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm starting to settle on 3 days of activities during the 6 full days that I have there. Chichen Itza, talum/xel-ha, and then a day messing around on Isla Mujeres. That will give us a day off in between each one to just relax, sleep in, take in some sun, maybe go out for some nice meals, and maybe ride the bus around the 7 looking for places to get out and explore(and leave energy for the normal honeymoon activities :wink: ). Sound good, or am I missing any must do activity? Last trip I just planned on which club and happy hour to hit on each day, this time I'm actually planning activities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice