Im a newbie in need of your expert tips!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Dovvie-boy, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Dovvie-boy

Dovvie-boy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there folks im getting married in April over here in Bonnie Scotland and have booked up for 2wks in the Riu Caribe from the 3rd-17th of may 07. I would generally love to hear anybodys views on, -this hotel, the weather to expect(thats a big one,us scots get hardly any sunshine), what to do , where to go, where not to go, how good is the location etc etc...
    Im so... lookin forward to this and im sure with all your friendly advice it will be made even better.

Thanks Dov :D

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! And for picking my favourite month in Cancun to visit. May is beautiful weather wise, not too hot, not too cool, the days are long again, not too much chance of rain, just perfect. Good choice in hotel too, the Riu chain is well regarded by most travellers. The Riu Caribe is on the north side of the island of Cancun so you have the calm waters instead of crashing waves. Nice beach at the Caribe, good stretch of sand. Keep in mind while your travel company says the tips are included at your all inclusive, they really are NOT. Be prepared to tip your servers, maids and bellmen. They will deserve it!

Everything you'll want to do is easily accessed by the bus for 6.5 pesos. Taxis are everywhere as well, just negotiate your fare before you get in.

For tours, there are a bazillion things to do in Cancun. The Mayan Ruins in the area are spectacular, particularly Chichen Itza. There are two eco parks, Xelha and Xcaret which offer snorkelling, flora and fauna, dolphin swims and many other activities. I love heading over to Isla Mujeres for the day for a self guided tour. You can do 2 kms of zip lines, ride bikes through the jungle and jump in a cenote at Selvatura. Those are just a couple of ideas.

Read through the posts here for restaurant and night club suggestions, tons of options for that as well!

Congrats again!

3. barnstyke

barnstyke Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dovvie-boy

The Riu Caribe is a very good choice of hotels and you won’t be disappointed. You can also use the Riu Cancun, Its worth checking it out as we will be at the Riu Cancun 8 of may to the 22nd of may and we love it. We love beach walk to the Caribe from the Riu Cancun, it takes us over a hour and a quarter to do it. Have a few drinks, a little snack and catch the bus back. The best trip that we did was the a day out at Isla Mujeres, all though theres a lot more to do than this. We only managed to do a few things on our tick list last time, that’s why we just had to come back again. Best night out that we did was Coco Bongos, don’t want to tell you too much about it and spoil it for you.

Have fun doing your research.

Daz.

4. Dovvie-boy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks to CancunCanuck and barnstyke for your info- its very much apreciated. Im sure with every1s help i will have a fab time.
    Anyone else who has tips for me be sure to post them and i will keep checking.

cheers. dov

5. jenfleur

jenfleur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You've picked a great time to go, the weather's fab then, just what us Brits like! :D

I can reccommend the Jungle Tour, where you zip through the lagoon in a convoy of drive-your-own 2 seater mini speedboats then snorkle for a bit after. Not too expensive and lasts a few hours, a good morning actvity.

Isla Mujeres is fab, you must go!

6. Dovvie-boy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just looked up the jungle tour and it looks wicked. Im sure we will be doing that, also saw sumthin bout hiring golf buggies to tour an island--that sounds good 2. Its starting to look even better --everyone seems to think May will be the best time so heres hoping. What temperatures are about average for may then?

Also i have read a few things about sea lice--need i be worried?

cheers again folks. dov

7. barnstyke

barnstyke Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola

We never saw any sea lice while we were in Cancun last may. In saying that, we didn't swim that much (may-be 5 times) in the sea. May is the best weather we’ve had in the Caribbean, not a drop of rain last year and not too humid. Keeping the fingers crossed for this years lovely weather. It’s surfing the internet and researching all the pros and cons that makes for a fantastic trip.

Good Luck

Daz.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice