I'll have a "pat-down", please

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 8, 2010.

1. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I fly frequently for business and have often thought the same. I always book and aisle seat, in part, for that reason.

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I disagree... every military and many police forces around the world have a supply, which could be stolen or bought, so access to such explosives shouldn't be an issue. In many countries explosives like dynamite are sold with little to no questions asked. Even in the US its not hard to get explosives if you know where to look... (ie: any rock quarry, demo site, etc) Just a tiny amount of explosives is enough to catastrophically damage a pressurized plane.

Disagree with the first part.. agree with the second... (media and the politicians)

Yee.... a dog is the best check, but they don't routinely sniff passengers getting on planes... a "proper" job of concealing explosives would leave little to no residue to be detected on the exterior surfaces..

My point is a real serious effort would be hard to stop, which is why I think these attempts have been the work of inexperienced wannabe terrorists and not of any truly organized group.

3. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. I've been in the military for over 20 years and can say, at least in Canada, that's it's extremely difficult to get away with anything of use.

If it really was that easy I really believe we would be seeing it more often. Also, if it was that easy then why are all these bombs made out of fertilizer and household chemicals?

2. When security measures work we generally never find out... it's when they fail that it makes the news.

3. residue will be left on anything and everything for days. Gunshot residue will stay on your hands through multiple washings. Clothes, hair, skin, shoes, bags, etc. You can't clean it all 100%

4. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The other side of this issue is dealing with a terrorist's motivation.

Perhaps, as distasteful as it is, like Northern Ireland we need to come to the table and listen to their grievances?

Most of us want Israel and Palestine to do the same.

The complexity of who we actually sit down with is daunting. I would suggest initially we speak with Islamic leaders at home and around the world.

We need them to be much more vocal in their denunciation of acts of terrorism.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an IBM ThinkPad leather carrying case that was stored in a closet for 2 weeks while I travelled during the month of January 2005. The closet also contained a gun safe which held a couple of hand guns, a shotgun and a couple of rifles.

For the rest of 2005, that bag set off alarms at JFK, HAJ, Tampa and a couple of others. By August of 2005 I retired the damned bag and have never flown with it since. The bag was always flagged while being x-rayed, so a logical conclusion would be that, at least at the airports mentioned, there's a sniffer co-located with the x-ray equipment. The bag was also sniffed by German Shepherds in Miami and Beagles at La Guardia. No amount of cleaning and polishing could remove the trace. I thought that was pretty amazing.

6. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had the alarm go off once with my laptop bag. No firearms or explosives in the house. They explained that some medications will trigger the machine. I wiped it down and it cleared up.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canada has a military??? j/k :icon_mrgreen: I would hope it is difficult, but things routinely come up missing here in Mexico for example....

Good question... I've asked the same thing. I used to live near a quarry and they had a metal shed with all sorts of high grade explosives in it, and while I'm sure they are supposed to better secure the stuff, rural outfits probably still store their blasting supplies in little metal sheds.... even better secured buildings could be robbed and it might no even be noticed depending on how much is taken. Thats assuming you don't just force to owner to take you to the stuff before offing him...

So what's a few days to wait.. and thats still assuming that the device you conceal everything in gets checked thoroughly enough to be found anyway...

I think, thankfully, for the most part, the people that have made attempts have been, shall we say, idiots, lead by idiots, and in many ways we have been very, very, lucky that they have repeatedly failed.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well that's great.. if your leaving from the US... somehow I doubt such things are in place INCOMING to the US.

I would be a little curious what got on the bag, as I wouldn't expect the gunpowder, sealed in bullets, being in the same area, would be enough to leave a trace... and I've known people who usually carry guns in their cases who have never said they had any problems, but who knows. Are you sure there wasn't a bag of marijuana sitting next to the bag all that time.. ( :aktion025::bootyshake::icon_lol::flash: ) and its not the drugs that are being detected...? That would make more sense to me.. especially since the dogs walking inside the airport are usually drug dogs and not bomb dogs....

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  9. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *points up to mixz1's post*

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Personal attack

Coming in with a club, instead of a rapier, RG?

I suppose "personal attack" is not excluded from those things you permit yourself. I'm not the only one who's been subjected to this sort of thing at your hand. I could, as you know, pull up examples from this forum to reinforce the point, but there is no need, as you know what I'm talking about.

To post here is to risk being vilified (your recent post is sufficient illustration), if what is said or how it's said disturbs you- or one or two others that come to mind.

Perhaps your post contributes little to creating a gentler forum, but you would know better than I what you actually had in mind.

Mixz1 does not require your defending him, especially in that he was not attacked. That he is rightfully sensitive to subjects touching on the Holocaust is understandable: but, the subject is not, and must not be, taboo. Nor is it the exclusive domain of those people who most directly suffered from it. It is part of human history, not just Jewish history. The ghosts of those who died don't just haunt the Jews, they haunt us all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice