I'll have a "pat-down", please

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 8, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Travelers may want to opt for a pat-down, going through airport security, when traveling to the U.S., and back, if this article is any indication....

U.S. News - Headlines, Stories and Video from CNN.com

Click on the link, go to "Top US Stories"; then, go to-

"Anatomical ridicule...."

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really don't know why everyone has issues with the scanners. Your face is blurred. The people watching it have no idea who you are. And the video is only kept if you did something worth being arrested for.

scan me any time.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Bragging rights

Aah, you're just braggin', 4bidden!

V. :icon_wink:

'Course the pat down's got it's own issues, if somebody seems to be taking just a little too long, or being a little too thorough....

4. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *LOL*... I would definitely have more issue with a pat down. As they said people like being physically searched less. Also people get lazy doing repetitive jobs. They really won't be able to find as much as the scanner could. And a pat down would have never caught the guy with the explosive undies.

Scan me... just not on a cold day *L*

5. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'd take the pat down....if I get to pick which lady does it...lol

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Outta' luck, Brewster boy, I'm sure these are just men-on-men; women-on-women searches.

7. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *L*... so does that change your preference Brewster?

8. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Yeah....back to the scan....lol

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My personal feelings on this are that I could give a $hit what anyone thinks.. or how big "Mr. Happy" happens to look at the moment I walk thru the thing.. but then again I'm not a celebrity or someone who has an image to be worried about.

I will say that I would expect the people on the other side of the screen to be professional and mature about things. It shouldn't be the ones who are giggling and/or getting a thrill out of it, but sadly, given the general intelligence level of your average TSA worker I don't hold out much hope for that being the case... Anyone found not to be professional should be fired on the spot and/or charged for any inappropriate acts without exception.

Is it an invasion of privacy... yes it is! Its almost the same as being stripped naked in front of a security worker.. just faster.. On the other hand what privacy do you really have left now days anyway... I do find it kind of ironic that the country with the biggest appetite for adult material in the world.. (and you know who you are), always has so many people who get all upset and offended about the human body when issues like this come around....

I still say it would be cheaper, more effective, and less disruptive, to just have an army of drug and bomb sniffing dogs give everyone the once over.. but I guess there's not enough money in it for the political lobbyists...

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My feeling is that where there is a possibility of abuse, abuse will occur. There is nothing to stop those with that appetite you spoke of ending up sitting at the TV monitor.

You raise a good question about the choice of this technology. It could prove interesting to know to whom, and how much, the manufacturers of these devices have contributed to political campaigns....

As for being searched, I've never objected to a doctor's exam, which can be far more personal, and wouldn't object to a hands on search- if it's done professionally- whether by a man or a woman. I don't like the idea of a scan though, and have never been subject to one, that I was aware of at the time.

Searches I've experienced at Schipol, as an example, while thorough, have never seemed unprofessional: while the ones I experience in the U.S. sometimes seem to border on that, and I don't know why.

As Americans, I think it's important that we not let ourselves get too "sheep like" about these things....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice