I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jensey46, Sep 17, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of my current real estate listings is for a house, which is used as a personal residence, and which is owned by a corporation. It's simpler to resell this house because the seller needs only sign over the corporation to the new owner.

If there are practical problems with living in a corporately owned house here I have not heard about them. It is not as common to buy a home with a corporation as with a fideocomiso. Clearly the intent of owning property through a corporation would be business, but I guess you need to define "business". Perhaps once you put your home office in it it becomes your business...

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kim,

By business it was defined to me as anything other than for personal use. There are problems but I am not going to try to dispense legal advice here. I suggest that anyone buying property here consult an attorney as a lot of things can go wrong.

As to the simplicity of selling a corporate owned house simply by basically transferring the ownership of the stock, I personally would never do this. There are real as well as contingent liabilities that could pop up years later against the corporation that would never be located in conjunction with the normal process of buying a house. And those debts would stick against the corporation and therefore could become liens against the property if legal action for collection ever ensued. The corporation could be obligated for anything from car payments to equipment leases to credit card debt to taxes. I am selling a house on Isla Holbox that is corporate owned and if anyone is stupid enough to buy the corporation, I wish them luck in the future. I am not necessarily talking of this single corporation, but rather in general terms.

Someone might want to buy the corporation and then immediatly transfer the property out to another corporation or a fideicomiso and then take their chances with what would then be a free corporation. Were debts to manifest themselves in the future they could always walk away from them without personal liability IN MOST, BUT NOT ALL, cases. Buena suerte mi buena amiga.

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New Info

A friend who I do not think posts here, but reads most everything, advised me of a couple of things in the last 2 days.

One is that he added on to his house and did not pull a permit. He was discovered and hit with a close to $1,000 US fine. He said that (I believe Hacienda) keeps detailed property records and a random inspection or siting did the trick.

Next he was dealing with his car permit and have a few comments on that one for us.
    1. You can renew again at Puerto Juarez.
    2. If your FM3 expires so does your car permit.
    3. You are at risk if you are stopped and your car has an expired tags/registration. Fighting the bureaucracy is not something you want to do.

4. Jensey46

Jensey46 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have ANOTHER question...

Does anyone of a place or website (preferably), where I can get a map of cancun including the SMs and regions? Its so hard searching Novedades for a house when I have NO clue where half of places are at!
    Thanks again for all your help. The answers above have been wonderful!
    thank you thank you :)

5. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Answered this one by email this morning, sorry I didnt realise it was you :oops:

For the benefit of others, who may not already know.

You can get very detailed city maps at Papaleria which is located off Uxmal near to the bus station downtown. There's not much on the Internet and the touristy places dont sell them but they do exist, we have one.

7. Jensey46

Jensey46 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yay, your great! thanks!

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jersey46,

I will post a link to any interactive website with all of the SM´s & Regions listed when I get back to my own computer. So you can zoom and navigate. It¨s not perfect but decent and the best I have found.

Since you are looking for a place to find one, I will direct you to Papeleria Cancun. The main store is near Parque las Palapas. From the park walk toward the bus station, either on the street passing in front of the church, in which case it will be on your left, or via the street passing in front of La Habechuela, in which case it will be on the right. There are entrances on both streets.

Both are one way streets running in opposite directions. The one by the church runs toward the bus station and the other from the bus station. Coming off Coba the street is called Alcatraces if you are driving. I think it is called Margaritas if you are driving and turning from Uxmal. Unfortunately for you I am too lazy to go to the car and get perfect info for you. They are close to the cash registers. If you have not been to this store it has all kinds of paper products, art supplies, books, school supplies and even buttons and thread.

Oh, this is a folding map and I think the current price is just under $30 pesos. There is no way to look up a street, like in an alpha index. The SMs are somewhat near one another in terms of being consecutively numbered but you have to look for a few of them as there is no rhyme nor reason as you will see.

A Manzana is what you would know as a city block and these are consecutively numbered within the SM´s.

So, first find the SM, then the Manzana, and the street will be a no brainer as it will be one of of the 4 sides of the Manzana/Block.

Next is Lote, or lot number. Sometimes they are on the building and nearly always you will find them on a concrete type of monument on which the electric meters are situated. By process of elimination and geting a building description you can find anyplace

Good luck.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Actually, received a reply from the email I sent and it wasn't you at all, just someone who had the same question at the same time.

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice