I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jensey46, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jensey46

Jensey46 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    I have a BUNCH of questions just regarding living in cancun. Which you think id know already after living here over a year, but I dont. I know a bunch of them are probably here somewhere answered for me already, but I have a small baby, and its hard to do searching with him around. So if some could spare a little time itd be much appreciated. :)
    I have them all typed up and can email them to you for convience.
    Thank you SO MUCH!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Can you not post them here? then we can all nibble away at them and they'll be useful for others too.

3. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Not normally but you can try.
    4. It is by Walmart
    5. No, you have to wait in line
    6. It is by McDonalds
    7. Not too bad if you don't run the AC
    8. Check Soriana

(I just took my best guess)

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol, I THINK YOU ANSWERED EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I WOULD HAVE HAD... SORRY ABOUT CAPS TO LAZY TO RE-TYPE

5. Jensey46

Jensey46 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok Steve im posting a reply :p lol

I was wondering, if anyone knew the answers to a few of my questions:

- What do you need to register a baby in cancun (he was born here, and parents are american)
    - What do you need as a foriegner to buy a house and to add on to one
    - What do you need to get married and where?
    - What is the best way to get a car. Buy new buy used? Buy outside of state?
    - And what do you need to drive a car legally if your a foriegner?

I think thats it, but anyone has related information, or tips, thatd be great as well
    Thank you all :)

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To Register your child you need to go to Registro Civil with any papers you have from the Hospital It is located in El Parque de las Palapas near Labna.
    As for the Car it really depends on what you can afford and what kind of credit you have. Driving legally here? You can drive legally with a foriegn license or you can get a Mexican one if you have an Fm3.
    I would recommend talking to a Lawyer for Purchasing Property. Registro Civil will also give you a list of requirements for getting married in Mexico.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, if you search the archives of this forum you will find lots of answers. All of your questions have been answered here before.

To buy a house here you will need to either form a Mexican corporation which will own the house, or get a bank-managed trust called a fideocomiso and the trust will own the house. You can't directly own a house this close to the coast unless you are Mexican.

A corporation will be more expensive and more hassle to start, but your yearly expenses will be lower. A fideocomiso is more common, and a bit cheaper to start, but you need to pay the bank a significant yearly fee to maintain it.

Since your child is Mexican a good lawyer might be able to help you put the house in the child's name and then have control over it as the child's parents, but I don't know if it's possible. That's just an idea I would check out.

To add on to your house you need to get renovation permits, just like anywhere else. Because lots in Cancun are so small and density is so high there are a lot of things that you might wish to do to a house which you will never get a permit for. So you need to investigate what kinds of changes are allowed before you set your heart on making certain changes.

Many people here add on to houses without permits, and if you get away with this it's a lot less hassle. But if you get caught they will stop the project and fine you heavily and it will be a huge drag. If you don't get permits for changes then any additional space you add to your home will not be reflected in the escrituras (the title) for the property. This may or may not matter.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Ok Steve im posting a reply :p lol

I think I can help with these 2.

Rivergirl gave you great information but I should ad that you are not supposed to by investment property with a fideicomiso and you are not supposed to buy a home for your personal residence with a corporation. At least that is what my local attorney advised me. A corporation needs to members and neither is required to be a Mexican citizen.

To add on, all you really need is money. There is really no such thing as a permit for this type of thing.

As to the car, I would suggest buying one in Florida and shipping it by boat from Ft. Lauderdale to Puerto Morelos. You can find info from a post that I have made in the past or PM me and I will walk you through it.

It is dreadfully expensive to buy a car here compared to buying one in the US and driving or shipping it here. It is a long way to Cancun from the US so you have time, expenses and the risk of a breakdown if you drive. You can fly round trip between Cancun and Ft. Lauderdale on Spirit for about $250 or even less if you watch for their specials. You can ship a mid sized SUV for about $800. The price goes up and down based on th volume of the car by multiplying its length, width and height.

If you do not have an FM3 you are here on an FMT or tourist card. You get Permiso de Importacion Temporal which is good as long as your tourist card is good, up to 180 days. Then you are supposed to leave the country, turn in your old permit and get a new one when you return. Most people who do this go to Belize for a long weekend to accomplish this.

We all know people driving on expired US plates and with expired permits and no one seems to care.

If you have an FM3 it is my understanding that your car permit is valid so long as you have a current FM3.

9. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can drive around on expired plates however if you get caught and your FMT or FM3 are not current they will take away the vehicle, It happens and it is when you least expect it. We have been stopped by Hacienda in the past just to check on papers and we have always kept them current and not had any problems.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the small price and troube of keeping everything current, it is worth it not to go through that hassle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice