Hurricane Storm Dean

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow...didn't realize that leaving town during hurricane season meant I needed to make my house hurricane ready. I flew to TX on Wednesday to bring my nieces home and to buy a car. Now, I find myself calling friends in Cancun to go over and remove plants from my balcony ledge (so as not to drop on car windows below) and pick up wires off floor. I'm told that during Wilma, my neighborhood (SM 39) was far enough downtown that it didn't really have any damage, but not being there has me feeling a bit out of control and anxious.

As crazy as it may seem, I wish I were there (in my home) to prepare a bit more. I hope this finds you all well, and for now...safe and dry.

See you soon...

Kris

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is anyone thinking of leaving town if it comes and is really a powerful one? I was thinking of going to tabasco and hanging out in a nice hotel for a week.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Matkirk.

Tabasco is for wimps.

I am coming back tomorrow instead of Wednesday, just to see if it kicks our butts like Wilma.

But I just saw that since 8 am EST it has been downgraded to a Class 3 and is moving forward more slowly. Last night at 11 pm it went from Class 4 to Class 5. There seems to be no transition from 5 to 3 on the site I most rely on.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200704_5day.html?MR=1

I will say that even though I grew up in Florida I hope that Wilma was a once in a lifetime experience for me and my friends. That lady was wild. It now looks like Dean will be a walk in the park but who knows. It's still about 48 hours away.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Not sure where you're getting this from TJ, but all sources I see suggest it is still Cat 4 and never made it to Cat 5, although is likely to tomorrow.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Check the link in my post. The Class 3 was just barely over land the last time I looked and the Class 5 was still aways out in the sea.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  7. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just keep taking the pills and ointment, Steve.

8. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    t.j. if you are not in cancun now i am not sure why you would want to go to cancun now. Wilma was not fun at all. I would not wish that on anyone.

9. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine works at the CFE in Valladolid. He just went out of a meeting. Yes Dean is going to hit Cancun, cat 4, unless of course he changes his mind and go back home for example :wink:

I could stay somewhere in Cancun, I would be close to my "damages" but I will chose security and go to Valladolid. HOPEFULLY, he will not stay here like Wilma, and I can come back in time to take my flight on the 30 for France!

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol: TJ I guess I'm a proper pussy then, it's just that England are playing germany on Wednesday and watching that is far more important than any hurricane! I've been looking forward to it for ages, then bloody dean comes along and threatens to knock out my sky!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice