Hurricane season

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Chet, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Chet

Chet Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Well just sitting here in Iowa thinking bout our trip,which is at the tail end of hurricane season.I was worried some about this when I booked. NOT ANYMORE!!!!

The EF5 tornado that ripped through Parkersburg Memorial Day weekend was actually less than 10 miles south of my house when it lifted.Sure some of you have heard about the tornado.

Now for the last two days every surrounding community that is anywhere close to a river has sustatined RECORD floods.The Shell Rock river is within .5 miles from me but im on a hill(No Prob for me).My place of employment was down yesterday and today in Waverly,as it it surrounded by the Cedar river.

This Freakin weather is Craaaazzzyyyy! Spent some time helping the people in Parkersburg and will spend the better part of the next few weeks helping clean up after the flood waters go down.

If I can handle Iowa weather I can surely handle hurricane season right?
    (knocking on wood,fingers crossed,lucky rabbits foot in hand.) Common October!!!

Just a rant.

2. jrose52

jrose52 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hurricane

I know EXACTLY waht you are talking about. I am from Iowa priginally. My whole family still lives there. In Keokuk. Its crazy what has gone on there and all the rain and severe weather, considering here in the Carolinas we have been on water restriction for about a year because it has been a drought. Hope everything is ok back in the homeland!

3. Chet

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Re: hurricane

Everything is ok but wish i could send the whole state on a vacation.Everyone needs a break I think.

4. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're right.. Oct is around the end of hurricane season. Also, most of the hurricanes that hit mexico go up the West coast. Before Wilma hit Cancun the last hurricane was 12 years prior.

PS.

Not to worry you or anything but I'm not sure a tornado compares to a hurricane. But after living through one you're probably more prepared that most.

5. Chet

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Nah I know a hurricane dwarfs a tornado but this baby was a monster.Almost a mile wide.Wiped out 200-300 homes just in P-burg its self.Just kind of a "Whats next?" kinda thing.Been a bad year. Hopefully everythings smooth in Oct.

6. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a mile... wow... we get the occasional tornado in Southern Ontario but nothing like that.

7. Angibaby

Angibaby Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW! Sounds like you guys have gotten hit good. :( Much of the midwest is getting hit hard. We (knock on wood) havent been too bad yet but we were going to head over to WI Dells with the kids this year but since Lake Delton kind of disappeared we may be rethinking that depending on how the rest of the Dells fares. Maybe we will have to go see Mt Rushmore or the Black Hills instead.

The likelyhood of a hurricaine hitting while you are in Cancun is rare, I would relax and have a good time until you hear one is coming.

8. Bethy

Bethy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WE are headed to Cedar Rapids for a golf outing this weekend. It's about 2 hours from us, and so far everything there still seems to be a go.
    Should be an interesting drive out there though, seeing how the state is doing.

9. RonaldNTalina

RonaldNTalina Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you survived the tornado and I hope you get fabulous October weather in Cancun.

Ronald :cool:

10. Chet

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Wow dunno how thats gonna turn out.They are evacuating much of Cedar Rapids now.They are just about to get our leftovers.Not gonna be good down there.Thanks R&T Im sure out Oct trip will be fabulous.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice