Hurricane season

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by bevy, Aug 7, 2018.

1. bevy

bevy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 1
    so we booked and everyone I have talked to ( family ) keeps saying you know its hurricane season right
    we have insurance on the trip so if it happens before we leave we are covered
    but the question is does anyone know the policy if you are there and a hurricane comes
    is there a safe room , or do they evacuate
    I know years ago we were leaving hedo as a hurricane was coming in and we talked to some of our new friends afterwards and were told the staff gave them a room to stay in .and nicely enough it had booze in it
    so hurricane party
    anyone know what goes on if a what if happens ?

2. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Sky bar party.

First one blown off the roof........loses :(

There hasn’t been a direct hurricane hit that would necessitate something like this in many many years. Several partials or tropical storms that would not result in any moves as far as I can recall

3. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,833 / 3
    We were at TTR during a tropical storm a few years ago. It rained like crazy and the wind never stopped for 3 days. I guess you might have been able to venture outside, but nobody did, and the pools overflowed with all the extra water. The buildings didn't do much better, and it seemed like everything in the place was dripping, because it was... Hallways, light fixtures, etc. You really had to watch your step because of the slippery floors. The upside was, as typical for TTR guests, everyone made the most of it, and there were plenty of room and hallway partys, although everything and everybody felt damp and sweaty, a bit like a locker room. One of the most interesting things for us was being invited to a party in a much larger guest room down the hall that had a non-stop party. Once inside we soon discovered quite a few guests were playing a rousing game of Count the Bare Feet in the Bed. This was very new to Stephanie and I, and we were both wide-eyed at the festivities, but slowly made our way a little closer to the safety of the door. We still talk about that, and I have no idea how many people were in that group. I don't think either of us will forget it. But it just goes to show you, rain or shine, TTR guests will always find a way to have a good time!

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    We were visiting during the hurricane that wasn’t in first week of Oct17.
    They moved all the boats from the docks and took all the chairs and tables from the beach and deck.
    It was eery.
    But only a little wind and rain.
    Out friends who got spooked and left early because of it missed out.
    I believe Hurricane season is from June-Oct.

5. bevy

bevy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 1
    I know one year we went in Oct and it rained every dang day .. and back then they didn't do anything to move the party
    when we were there in march they kept telling people its only a little rain the party is not stopping ..the dj is in a nice covered place
    and the party can be moved inside now lots of space
    Not really worried about it just wanted to see what people knew :)

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There hasn't been a big hurricane to affect Cancun since 2005. A few near misses but nothing serious since. We usually do have a couple of Tropical Storms a year which aren't dangerous, just wet.

If it really is a big hurricane, Cat 4 or 5 with a direct strike anticipated then guests are evacuated downtown usually to local schools, as in 2005 where they stayed for 3 days.

A big hurricane like the one above (Wilma) is a one in 20 year event so not much chance of such a situation happening during anyone's 5 or 7 day stay, but always wise to take out insurance.

Hurricane season is June 1st to October 31st, the highest probability being Sept and Oct

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. MikeandSherrie

MikeandSherrie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +173 / 0
    Hurricanes are tracked and you can check before you even leave home and find out if Cancun is in the possible path. NOAA has a site to check the Atlantic storms/hurricanes, it's not a guarantee where the actual track will go but you can definitely know if there is nothing coming in while you are there. It's not like tornado alley where you know a tornado could pop up at almost any time. We always travel in hurricane season and knock on wood have never even had a close call. I would not suggest "riding it out" if they say one is headed for Cancun ;)

8. MikeandSherrie

MikeandSherrie Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +173 / 0
    LOL I was also going to say Steve may have some pictures of the last one, but it seems he was typing at the same time!

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes, I do have some pics from 2005 somewhere, but not sure where they are now :)

Also if there's one on the way I start a thread here and keep people updated with what's happening

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    My mother and aunt visited Cancun withi a year of 2005 Wilma. Terrible destruction around the area.
    In fact if you look you may still see places not repaired. Maybe Steve knows and of course has photographic evidence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice