Hurricane Season 2009

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 3, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Costco here I come. I wonder if the cats will like PopTarts?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This phenomenon, which I spoke of earlier, appears to have intensified since then, and now appears as an extension of Ida, occupying the greater part of the Gulf of Mexico, with counterclockwise rotation joining that of Ida, in a much bigger, if not more powerful storm.

For those who'd like a better look at what I'm referring to, click on the link, below; then, scroll down to the "Visible Satellite" image.

http://home.comcast.net/~herbwx/hurrican.html

You ladies are talking about stocking up on cat food, while I'm busy stocking up on wine. Where's your priorities, ladies?!!

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your quips about buying tuna, etc. TraceyUK, your quip about "feeling pressured" to buy tuna, was priceless.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

4. greg1701

greg1701 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sunday..

I'm supposed to be flying in on Sunday afternoon.. does anyone have experience with what the winds have to be at Cancun airport to cancel incoming flights? I'm thinking they'll be 50-60mph if the storm stays on track... I'm not very hopeful.. in a way I hope its cancelled, as I'm guessing the weather Sun-Tue will be pretty crummy... argh!

Love this board though...

Greg

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Greg, sorry this has come about at such a bad time for you. We'll stay optimistic, for now.

Referring to the phenomenon I was speaking of earlier, the National Hurricane Center has begun to comment on it, too, as follows:

MOST OF THE GLOBAL MODELS SHOW A LARGE PRESSURE GRADIENT BETWEEN A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES AND THE TROPICAL CYCLONE. THIS IS ALREADY CONTRIBUTING TO A LARGE AREA OF STRONG WINDS OVER THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO WHICH IS NOT DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO IDA.

Part of a separate system, yet lying ahead of Ida, and circulating in the same counterclockwise direction, I've wondered what would happen if Ida catches up with it; that is, whether the energy of the two systems would become additive, and quickly produce a more powerful storm than we are dealing with, presently, with 60 MPH, sustained winds.

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have experienced every Hurricane since 1987 and have yet to buy a can of Tuna or eat one before during or after.
    We are not cut off from supplies for more than a few days even after Wilma there was never really a shortage of anything except for Electricity and we had a generator thank God! as we where the second to last to get it back.
    People do panic shop and do empty the shelves of Bread and other staples I have always thought about how much actually goes to waste.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Storm grows

It appears that Ida is now a much bigger storm, filling the whole of the W Caribbean up to the shores of Cuba.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, see the first animation on the link, below; and, possibly, the "visible satellite" image, to complete the picture.

http://home.comcast.net/~herbwx/hurrican.html

Whether collision with the weather system to the north of Ida will, as suggested in my previous posts, and commented on by the National Hurricane Center (see my previous post, bottom p.3), remains to be seen.

Now, it's just a very large, if not very powerful storm. However, water is beginning to enter my apt, from flooding of the back yard.

It appears the storm will be out of our hair by Monday afternoon, at the latest, if the forecasts are right. I'd be happy if that turns out to be the case, as my wife flies in on Tuesday.

8. greg1701

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi V..

thanks for all the info, and hope your wife gets in safe and sound.. that storm looks large but it now looks like it might, just might, slip enough to the East to allow flights to land tomorrow.. we'll see!

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Good Luck!

Thanks, Greg, and good luck with your flight, tomorrow.

It's oddly quiet and dry here, at the moment, after having rained the better part of the day. So, we're waiting for the shoe to drop, at the moment.

We lost power for a half hour from 3:15 to 3:45 PM, today, probably unrelated to the storm, but it gave us a chance to see if we were ready for a power outage (unlikely to occur with the predicted strength of this storm).

10. greg1701

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well..

it looks like it may get thru the area before my plane lands.. we'll see.. I'm still expecting a delay at my end at the airport tomorrow... hopefully it stays nice and straight and leaves Cancun alone other than some wind and rain...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice