Hurricane Season 2009

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 3, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You've got a good nose Steve.

I'm betting Ida won't be a big deal for us here in Cancun. We may well avoid all the hub-bub of de-mothballing the hurricane site. I know it's a lot of work for you (as is this forum).

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tropical Depression Ida
    Latest UpdateThu, Nov 5, 2009, 10:00 PM EST
    CategoryTropical Depression
    Wind Speed35 mph
    Pressure1004 mbLatitude13.8° N
    Longitude84.1° W
    MovementNNW at 5 mphNext UpdateFri, Nov 6, 2009, 01:00 AM EST

So it's been downgraded. Max winds 35 mph. Now we wait to see if it picks up strength when it's back over the water.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And if it does pick up strength and head for us then we can all run out and buy too much tuna fish, like we always do...as if somehow the presence of a hurricane makes us all actually like tuna fish. Haha.

I am hoping it will fizzle out and dissipate. A hurricane doesn't figure very well into my upcoming week's plans.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm still trying to finish off my Wilma tuna before it expires. :shock:

5. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's too funny! Yesterday morning before I left we went and picked up a bunch of canned food, extra batteries, etc --- tuna was one of the main constituents!

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Forecast off?

Obviously, we are now starting to get some heavy rains, well ahead of the forecast, which is for rains associated with Ida to start tomorrow. (T.J., for example, up all night to keep an eye on the weather for us, reported, in his first official report of the day, that it had rained, all night).

But, what I see when I look at the movement of air is a huge ark to the north of Ida, a flow that is consistent to my mind with a much bigger storm, and it is in this ark that we are, now. It could be that movements of air, at present unassociated with Ida, will coalesce, resulting in a more powerful storm, at least in the sense of heavier rains, if not more powerful winds, that is presently being forecast.

(I don't know if this phenomena appears in the Stormpulse display.)

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have too much tuna fish then the logical solution is to get more cats! I can hook you up.

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I am supposed to be having a special dinner tommorow night- Im cooking! To get all the ingredients I need I have been to Costco, Sams, Walmart and superama this am. In every shop the person infront of me was buying cans and cans of Tuna !! What is the fascination with Tuna during a storm.? Its like we are going to be in lockdown for a month! :shock:

I felt pressured into buying three cans myself- like it was compulsory to have before exiting the store...........and I hate bloody Tuna!

Everyone stay safe and dry.
    Tracey

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've already got a lot of tuna in the house. A can for each cat. I'm not buying any more tuna, I don't care what anybody says.

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Walmart has one of the most sophisticated IT divisions in the world and has been using a tool called Predictive Analysis to forecast what to stock heavily in the event of a predicted event. Based on analysis of data conducted in Florida in 2004 when the state was whacked by hurricanes Charlies and Francis, the two most heavily purchased items in anticipation of a hurricane are a) beer and b) Pop Tarts. Tuna finishes way down the list. We're talkin' stateside here. For all I know it is tuna in Mexico.

I can't wrap my tastebuds around the idea of washing down an un-toasted Pop Tart with some warm beer (I can't even latch onto the idea of Pop Tarts, raw or well-done). It would seem that some albacore straight from the can with a cup of room temperature Warsteiner might be okay. Actually, if you leave the beer cans or bottles floating in the toilet tank they cool down fairly well. Do not ask me how I know.

During the 27 days of blackout post-Wilma, we ate stranger and worse (anybody have a recipe for stranger and worse?). But I never let a Pop Tart pass my lips. I can't say the same for my wife, though. We bought them in bulk at Costco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice