Hurricane Season 2009

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 3, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well, the long range forecast for the 2009 hurricane season was for a season with below average activity and, so far, that seems to have been the case. I look everyday at my favorite hurricane watch site, just to see if there's anything out there that seems to be getting organized, and possibly heading this way; but, after a few strong storms, early in the season, most of which turned well north of here, there's been nothing. Let's hope that keeps up.

My favorite site for this kind of information is-

http://home.comcast.net/~herbwx/hurrican.html

Perhaps you have another to recommend, as well.

We've put in some extra canned foods, and other things that don't require preservation, and lot's of drinking water. Our upstairs neighbor has said we could come stay with her, as we live on the ground floor, and our apt would surely flood. So, we're reasonably well prepared to ride out a hurricane, should one come this way.

It's too bad that we have to live with this threat but I know many of you were here when Wilma hit, and you're still here so, in spite of that, you've found it worth the price, too.

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a few sites to watch, but the main one for me is the National Hurricane Center. If something pops up with them, I'll start the tour of other sites to obsess properly.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

We survived Wilma, we can survive anything. :) At this point, the idea of a hurricane is almost fun. I said almost people, no need to point out the inherent physical and economic dangers!

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - Seriously, you can stand to look at that site? That's worse that TJ voting for Palin. Seriously. It's got rainbows and flapping flags and twirling hurricane graphics. Ouch.

I always check the NOAA site first, because they are the ones sending out the planes to scout the storms, so I figure they have the latest info.

And I also check StormPulse:
    http://www.stormpulse.com/
    This is an example of a site that uses Flash properly imho.

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always stick to NOAA :)

Ps. Someone actually voted for Palin..? :shock:

I thought Americans had enough with the likes of Dubya... :)

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    IGNORANCE IS BLISS

Very true, RG, it has all that but, after the first reaction, I just started ignoring it, and paying attention to the data I was interested in, which was mostly the patterns of air circulation in the mid-Atlantic.

I'll have a look at your recommended site: perhaps it will be love at first sight, for the site.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would appear from the header info that http://home.comcast.net/~herbwx/hurrican.html is a user's personal web page at Comcast.net. His username is herbwx. He appears to be a dedicated amatuer meteorologist.

If you look at his source code (In IE, right-click on the page and select "View Source". Firefox users can probably do this too), you'll see that he is aggregating graphics and info from a wide variety of sites, including all the alternatives in this thread, i.e. stormpulse, noaa, etc.

As with most amatuer webmasters (we ought to come up with a rankings list, i.e. webweenie, webnovice, webtinkerer, webamatuer, etc), the animated deco-graphics overkill is a mandatory part of the design, but there's a lot of information that he's borrowing and he's done a good job. I only wonder how quickly he updates from the original sources, although it looks like it happens dynamically per view. What'cha think, RG?

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He's pulling in a lot of data. But there's plenty of data on NOAA's site too. Only NOAA has the good sense not to put it all on one page.

And this guy is showing off his web stats too, might as well hang up your underwear in public. Tacky.

I actually searched his markup to see if he was using the Blink tag in there, but he didn't stoop that low.

I can appreciate that you might like his data. But for me this page is just painful to look at or to interact with. (Please, don't make me look at it again.)

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nah. I just like him for trying so hard. It's what I call a "sunglasses site". Maybe even sunglasses plus a crash helmet. I don't plan on going back either. When it's crunch time down here it's NOAA and stormpulse (for me, at least).

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nicely put. And now...to work...

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LoL that reminds me of my first website.. cerca 96 or so... except I had the rotating skulls and "doom" music playing uncontrollably in the background.....

anyway.. I find the Intellicast website to work well...
    http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/AtlanticSatellite.aspx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice