Hurricane Rina headed for Cancun

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Steve, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Ready2party

Ready2party Original H&H Gangsta's Registered Member

Ratings:
    +771 / 0
    We are sooo ready to be there! As our name says, ready to party!

2. speedtek

speedtek Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3 more sleeps. :cheerleaders:

3. conjuna

conjuna Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +191 / 0
    US airlines just cancelled for tomorrow ugh . No trip insurance but got total refund resort n flight . Will b there with group of girls first weekend in dec

4. marshe

marshe The Original Hottie and Hellraiser Registered Member

when not on vacation, home based 25 mns from Toron
    Ratings:
    +1,770 / 4
    Can someone in Cancun right now or at Temptation right now tell us the curreny situation pleeze.
    Is there a room curfew in effect? Is booze still being served? Are the restos open or just only buffet? Is lingerie party happening tonight? Are things normal?

5. Jeffy

Jeffy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me post Delta flight info to and from Cancun out of Atlanta. This is from the inter-company flight page, not the commercial web sight. Please note the time of post so you can know if it's accurate or not. This might help some of you who are trying to figure out what to do. This info has no accounting for any passengers who may show up from other airlines, are transferred over from a previously cancelled flight etc. the available seats are based on what is currently booked only. here's the ATL-CUN flights, times, and seats available first class/coach class
    531 9:50-11:36 Friday 7/15 Sat 12/6 Sun 14/-18 Mon 16/-13 Tues. 7/-6
    533 10:57-12:48 Friday 5/29 Sat 6/-6 Sun 6/-9 Mon 11/-6 Tue 7/-10
    535 12:35-2:11 Sat only 11/-4
    537 5:56-7:43 pm Fri 8/24 Sat 15/-18 Sun 6/-1 Mon 8/-2

CUN-ATL
    530 7:41-11:14 Fri Cancelled Sat 1/-4 Sun 14/-17 Mon 13/23 Tues 14/37
    534 12:36-4:09 Fri 5/-7 Sat 5/-9 Sun 15/-14 Mon 22/27 Tues 16/41
    536 1:38-5:15 Fri 0/-2 Sat 5/-7 Sun 13/-10 Mon 8/19 Tue 9/64
    538 Sat only 6/-7

I am working tomorrow, and will update with any cancellations/delays as they materialize. I will try and put up a Delta New York to Cancun post also. If you have any specific Delta requests like info to other cities, just ask and I'll post as soon as I can.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    9pm: I'm not at Temptation (2 miles away) so cant tell you about the resort, only about current weather conditions.

It's been raining steadily but not heavily since about 6, it's now 9pm. I heard one clap of thunder. There is no wind to speak of, I'm 2 miles inland remember so wind is likely to be stronger at TTR but not by much. The rain is not that heavy, but I have friends in Playa del Carmen which is 40 miles south who are reporting very heavy rain flooding the street as of 6pm.

Rina is traveling North at 6mph so we will experience the same weather as Playa 6 hours later, so midnight tonight, 3 hours from now

I would very much expect that everyone is having fun at TTR albeit in the indoor areas such as Nice Shoes and the Sports Bar.

So far, Rina is the lamest 'hurricane' on record :)

I'll update again on whats happening around midnight or so.

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    11:15pm: Things are hotting up.

We have heavy rain now, thunder every minute. Wind is certainly picking up - the 20 foot coconut palms in the garden are swaying, and I hope I don't lose my banana tree :(

I'd guess wind speed as 40mph where I am downtown, you could probably say 50-60mph on the top end of the 7, maybe 50mph at TTR.

Interesting anecdote: One of the coconut palms in the garden, I picked up outside of TTR as a fallen coconut 1 day after Hurricane Wilma 6 years ago and planted it. It's now 20 feet high.

Hearing bangs and crashes outside, not sure what they are but the lights are flickering, may lose power soon. Friends in downtown Cancun have already reported power outages via their smartphone. I dont have one of those so if power goes I'll be offline until it's back up. Website will stay live - it's hosted in Georgia, Atlanta :)

The hotel zone is now closed to traffic with Police blockades in place and all bars and restaurants have been ordered to close.

Contacts from Cozumel are reporting heavy flooding and having to move to the second storey (a few hours ago). Contacts in Playa del Carmen are reporting winds subsiding and things calming down (recent). Since weather in Cancun is about 6 hrs behind that being experienced in Cozumel and PDC my guess is we have worse to come, but it will die down by 6-7am Friday.

Really it's nothing to be worried about at the moment, we've been through far worse. I might get another update in before I go to bed, but not sure anyone is reading this :)

By the way it's not severe enough to have woken my kids up yet!

8. Deleted member 13603

Deleted member 13603 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the updates Steve!

We're watching from BC! (British Columbia, Canada)

Keep safe!

9. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    Steve, if the worst that happens to you is a power outage and a fallen bananna tree I think you might be in pretty good shape lol!

Keep safe, watching the hurricane updates has been like crack to me! Gives me something to read about as I do a night shift tonight.

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yeah but Keith, I've been growing that banana tree for 2 years, it should have fruit next summer!

Will try to keep awake and give another update before I crash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice