Hurricane Rina headed for Cancun

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Steve, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There's another storm heading this way which is likely to affect the region from Wednesday. The picture below will automatically update several times a day.

There's also two more weather systems behind this one that could affect the area but too far away to predict right now.

[​IMG]

2. Sultryfox

Sultryfox Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    My advice would be to stay clear of rooms that face the beach or the direction the wind will be blowing. Sounds like it will be a full house for Halloween and if you have flooding in the room they may not be able to move you to another room. The flood in our room was very inconvenient and if they would not have moved us it would have ruined our trip - the room smelled musty, the carpets were removed because they were soaked, there was an inch of cold water all over the floor, including next to the bed, and the couch was musty and soaking wet.

The sliding doors are not sealed very well and with heavy rain and wind it will blow the water into your room horribly and there is nothing really to do to stop it. Our storm wasn't even a named storm at that time, but they said it had tropical storm wind speed, just never got organized enough with the center of circulation. This new storm looks much worse, but if the center stays well to the south it may end up being similar to last weekend (which was pretty darn bad).

The wind rattles the sliding doors, and if you have a jacuzzi on the patio it is impossible to use it in that weather. Only the suites have the jacuzzi tubs in the bathroom.

Also, don't even try to wear high heels in the halls if it is wet at all, you will kill yourself!! I actually slipped on 2 inch sandal heels, and then my heel popped off - was awesome! Got a bad bruise on my forearm from the metal hand rail I whacked it on when slipping another time. Bring shoes that you can walk over ice easier (my Keen sandals were best), otherwise it is very dangerous and it does feel like you are walking on ice!

Hope you get lucky and the storm stays to the south! If it is just raining it isn't that big of deal, the wind is what f*cks everything up at the resort!

3. Bambidamnit

Bambidamnit Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Thanks for the room advise, we are going to be there onThursday. We'll make the best of it!

4. KELLY CAT

KELLY CAT I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    Hey Steve,

We all appreciate your updates... well atleast I do lol

Is there any word on when this new weather is likely to end in Cancun? I seen you stated that there are more to follow possibly?

Heading over on Nov7-14 and hoping for sunshine :)

Thx a bunch

5. RandM

RandM Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Yep Im with Kelly Cat! We are coming in Nov 3-11! I thought these storms would all be over by then..............?? :icon_cry:

6. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hurricane Season runs from June through November, with Sept and Oct being the rainiest.

7. Tomster

Tomster Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm picking up some booze at airport on the way in just in case bars are boarded up due to storm. We have a great game to play and with fun people, we'll have a great time. Think positive.

8. Sultryfox

Sultryfox Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    They opened up the nice shoes bar when the storm hit last weekend and people pretty much hung out in there. They brought food into the dance area behind the sports bar and that is where the parties were Saturday and Sunday nights. Saturday night Paty O's was open because it was more windy than raining (but most people were in the Nice Shoes bar), but Sunday it was all boarded up.

I'm sure they will do the same next weekend if the storm hits. Just be careful with the slippery hallways, especially after a few drinks! But the nice shoes bar will be open for sure - I still recommend bringing your own alcohol, but that's just in case you are not wanting to leave your room at all!

I posted some videos of the storm just now.

9. backs13

backs13 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    The good thing is, the sports bar is usually the busy bar and the staff will do some sort of games (bean bag toss) in the hallway and they will do games inside the night club. There is always fun to be had somewhere, So like you said, think positive

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Hmm, well as it stands at 11pm Sunday the storm is now named Rina, and predicted to be Hurricane Rina at Category 1 headed straight for us on Friday.

With these things though, changes can and often do happen. I wouldn't be canceling anything just yet, give it a few days and see how things develop.

On the bright side, one of the two weather systems behind it has fizzled away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice