Hurricane prep hints

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Drewbert, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Those of you with garage doors (especially the lightweight non-Mexican aluminium designs) should put a row of sandbags along the bottom on both the inside and outside of the door to help prevent it buckling and pulling out of it's tracks.

If you have a truck or SUV parked on the inside, put the rear bumper against the door for more strengthening.

2. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know how the unit on the roof of a mini-split AC unit is anochored? Or are they anchored at all? I recently got one and I can see it up there on the apartment building roof but I cant get up there without a ladder. Is this something that would be worth trying to hire someone to look at and secure (if it's even possible to find someone to do that in time)? Or are they generally secured and I cross my fingers and whatever happens, happens?

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They're SUPPOSED to be secured, but anything is possible and depending on who you got to do the install, it might be just sitting there relying on gravity.

Mine are secured with masonry bolts into the roof, but that's probably only because I handed them the bolts that I bought specifically for them.

Many people as an extra strap running across the top of the unit and anchored separately to the roof for extra security.

If it is just sitting there, it'll probably move until the copper tubes stop it moving further. Hopefully that'll be it, but the tubes will end up crimped and will need replacing. If it gets a real battering, those copper tubes might fracture and then it's free to go where the wind and gravity take it.

4. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Drewbert. It was installed by a professional AC guy. If I run out of time to try to get on the roof and see that it was secured I guess I will just cross my fingers and hope it stays put!

5. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cannot go to the roof, I would break my head, back etc...! And the gardener just told me ALL the AC were just sitting there, not secured at all Arrrrrrrrggggggggggg..... Mine were (as the others I guess) installed by a so-called professional :evil:

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Cancun you've always got to double check the work any professional does for you. Our mini-split is well-anchored only because my husband went up on the roof with the professional and made him anchor it. We also anchored down our gas tank and the tinaco.

7. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes.

The rules are:

1. Never pay before the work is done.

2. Check everything with a fine toothed comb before paying.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice