Hurricane Paula Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Was at the Sams and Superama on the way out of town just a little while ago.. not busy at all.... I dont think anything less than a Cat 3 gets people moving...

2. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that that is the original path(s) of Paula when she was Invest 98.

Tropical Weather : Weather Underground is no longer showing it as a potential.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yeah, I think youre right. Strange Wunderground had both entries up at the same time - I see they've removed it now. I'll pull the pic too it's a bit confusing otherwise.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was in the taxi, on my way to work at 3 PM Tuesday, when I got the call: the Universidad del Caribe is now closed until further notice, all classes cancelled.

Good for them, having the courage to make a decision about it before everyone was terribly inconvenienced. My taxi driver said he had the authority to go home, and park the car, if high water made his work impractical.

5. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Suz went by Costco, and Mega and the parking lots were full, same at Walmart/Sams. She went yesterday afternoon late and said it was nuts.....

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The latest track shows the "eye" staying further out to sea so hopefully the wind and rain will too...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  7. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Good luck to all of you in Cancun. Stay Safe!

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Maybe we'll get lucky, Life, like with did last year with Ida, and have it just "brush" us.

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Since I've been here I've seen lots of storms cruise between Cancun and Cuba on their way Northward... sometimes not even dropping a single raindrop on us... not that any hurricane should be trivial but a Cat 2 isn't especially scary to folks around here unless they've never been in one before and think every storm is like Wilma...

Pretty much everything is built with concrete so you'll need some stronger winds to cause any noticeable damage... just annoyances like the possibility of the power going out, street flooding, the concern of the beach washing away again (since they refuse to build the required breakers or barrier islands...) and most worryingly...
    THE SUSPENSION OF BEER SALES!!!:blueshock:

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mega was busy, but people were calm and really polite actually. The biggest "panic" was at the ham counter (I refuse to call it a deli when all they really have is ham).

Paula feels kind of like Ivan from 2004, I don't think we'll have much wind troubles but we'll definitely get the rain. She's moving slowly so it might hover and hang around for a while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice