Hurricane Gustav

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Soriana has Poptarts, at least they did a couple of months ago. :D

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My question is, say you all get said Pop Tarts, how do you intend to toast them without any power? Haven't eaten one of those for years but i remember them being pretty dry when they were cold! Also how safe is Mayonnaise outside a fridge here? you've got the tuna, you got the sweetcorn, trust me, washing it down with water makes you gag, sauce is a must! All of a sudden, with my wife telling me about floating dead animals everywhere in Wilma and an Octopus cruising by in a her grandmas frying pan, i think i'm liking the look of England this week! :shock:

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not that toasting them makes them any less drier but you know what i'm getting at, i hope!

4. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We can toast them on the neighborhood bonfires built to ward off looters while the power is out. ;-)

5. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    food

SamCancun,

Maybe it's an American thing, but i think Pop Tarts ROCK....hot or at room temperature. YUMMMY!

As for the dead animals floating by, etc., I really don't know what you are talking about. Then again, I think I had a MUCH different Wilma experience than most. I had no problems in my home other than the lack of power. My neighborhood lost many trees but we didn't have flooding.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the best way to cook anything after a hurricane here is on your nearest "keep away the looters fire"...LOL! Too funny.

I'm not buying anything, I'm not doing anything, I'm going down with the ship... (Watch me panic on Saturday!)

One thing about this storm is it seems like it's much smaller than Wilma was. Wilma was huge and slow and got stuck on top of us. A smaller storm is more nimble, maybe less likely to stay in one place and just dump water.

For any hurricane newbies, if you are in town (not in the HZ) then the thing to worry about is water. You need to guard against your lawn furniture flying around (and the neighborhood basura taking flight) but the real threat will be if there's flooding and the water level rises. So think about how your digs would do in flooding.

In Wilma we ended up mopping for 6 hours to keep water out of the living room, but it worked. All our neighbors had 6 inches of water in their homes, we did not, but we were exhausted afterward.

Also be sure to bolt down anything outside the house. We have our stationary gas tank bolted to the roof in about 20 places so it can't fly. And during Wilma we had empty plastic tinacos (rooftop water tanks) flying around the neighborhood. Make sure your tinaco is full before the storm hits, so it can't fly away.

People here get very fond of tape before a hurricane. The thinking is that taping a window will do something besides make the window ugly and hard to see out of. But by all reports it won't. If you think a window will blow in then put a mattress up against or cover it in plywood.

When we bought our house we replaced all windows with the little square grid ones. In Wilma our windows didn't move. The whole house shook, but not the windows!

I'm very proud of myself. Last time I went stateside I bought a wind-up flashlight. The batteries can't die...can't wait to use it...

7. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hurricane

I hope you DON'T get a chance to use your nifty new flashlight this weekend, RG!!!

8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: food

You must have been nowhere near Lombardo Toledano then! Just before you get to Puerto Juarez on the left hand side of Lopez Portillo (where the Cablemas shop is and the fish restaurants), my wife tells me, they had water up to one floor level and there were dead and all manner of other things floating everywhere and to think they're building a huge wall the other side of Don Sellis (however you spell it) to block out all the poor from Novo Cancun, which will make it 50 times worse, as all the water has nowhere to go but back down here. Worrying times, the guy from the red cross (our gym instructor) has already offered to save us by Kayak, thank god we have a second floor, alot of people here don't.

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also Pop Tarts are nice, the ones with Strawberry Jam in, not the chocolate ones, but only toasted!

10. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hurricane

No, Sam, during Wilma, I lived next to the church in El Parque de las Palapas. Only lots of trees down in the park and i saw a couple of broken windows in my building. I only had a tiny puddle of water in my apartment and I quickly cleaned it with a bath towel. I read, napped, and chatted with my neighbors during the marathon storm. I didn't see anything dead float by (or fly by). How boring for me. haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice