Hurricane Gustav

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Just a heads up for everyone. We are now within the 5 day cone for this hurricane which is predicted to be a Major one.
    Lets hope track misses us.
    Tracey
    x

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it looks like a wet weekend.

The trackings I looked at when I woke up today pretty much all show Gus running over Cuba from one end to the other.

If it stays on this path we will get wind and rain but not hurricane force winds. Hmm, didn't I just get 4 days of non stop rain in sunny Florida?

The leading edge lines up with Cancun at about 2 AM Saturday morning at its current forward speed.

Well, I have water, gas, beer, candles, batteries and friends. Life is good. Please don't reply that you are sorry that I havd gas.

3. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It had better not be a major hurricane, they can bring on labour and I am NOT naming my baby Gustav!
    :lol:

4. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hurricane

By the middle of October, you might be hoping for anything (even a major hurricane) to bring on labor, Jen***! But you are right...this is too soon.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL! You don't like Gustav? Does that mean if you have a hurricane baby you must name him after the hurricane? Here's your choices, the upcoming hurricanes will be named (and possibly Jen's baby)....

Gustav
    Hanna
    Ike
    Josephine
    Kyle
    Laura
    Marco
    Nana
    Omar
    Paloma
    Rene
    Sally
    Teddy
    Vicky
    Wilfred

BTW, "I Like Ike!"

Here's hoping Gustav blows out to sea and doesn't bring anything our way. Sure, a little rain would beat the heat, but not a lot please!

6. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nah, I wouldn't really name him after a hurricane. I think Alex has passed already anyway !

7. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whatever name you give him, it will probably a hurricane's, past or to come, there are so many! They can't imagine enough names.

Latest news on wunderground:

The NOGAPS model no longer foresees landfall on Mexico's Yucatan, and now takes Gustav to a final landfall in the Florida Panhandle on Monday. The ECMWF is now the only model predicting a landfall in the Yucatan. This model predicts a second landfall in Texas. The GFDL is a little slower than its previous run, but still forecasts a Category 3/4 hurricane hitting Louisiana on Sunday evening. The UKMET prefers a Texas landfall. The GFS is not much help--it dissipates Gustav.

All on your knees to pray :lol: We will have tons of rain for sure, but the airport won't be destroyed. PLIIIIIIIIIIIZE!

8. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so when the power goes down (like ours did for a few hours when the electricity pylon decided to explode at 3am during 'Dolly') for a few days and it gets hot again, how do you keep cool? Or do you just lie in the corner of the room, wishing you had even ice to put on your forehead or a fridge to stick your head in? Also, entertainment wise, except the obvious (and that's not happening with the family watching!), what can you do? Any advide would be nice, last hurricane i experienced, i slept through it and it was in the UK in 1987 or something like that!

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    During and after Wilma, when we had no power, we played some distorted version of 20 Questions every night before bed. It got very silly. A regular question was "was it made in China?" Another regular question was "do we have one in the bodega?" the answer to which was no help since the bodega is packed full of crap. And we let each other have way more than 20 questions. It was fun.

Hurricane Wilma was late enough that it wasn't really hot even without a/c. But when Emily hit in July I was dying from the heat and humidity.

One suggestion for hurricane survival is to freeze a whole bunch of 2 liter soda bottles full of water beforehand. With less surface area than ice cubes they take a lot less time to melt than cubes. And you can just stick a few of them in the fridge when the power goes out.

But this one is not going to hit us, so we don't need to worry over this stuff...

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure if Rivergirl's comments are "tongue in cheek" or not but the 5 pm advisory and tracking map, shows more of a westerly movement than the morning report.

And they have changed the times the arcs, or whatever they are called, from like the leading edge being in our area at 2am, Saturday to 2 pm on Saturday. I take this to mean the forward speed has picked up.

But is shows the storm headed more toward Cancun this afternoon than it was this morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice