How safe is it

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by jeep & ally, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jeep & ally

jeep & ally Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just read this in the traveler advisory.
    This information is current as of today, Mon Feb 23 16:43:51 2009.

Mexico

February 20, 2009

This Travel Alert updates security information for U.S. citizens traveling and living in Mexico. It supersedes the Travel Alert for Mexico dated October 15, 2008, and expires on August 20, 2009.

While millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year (including thousands who cross the land border every day for study, tourism or business), violence in the country has increased recently. It is imperative that travelers understand the risks of travel to Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and whom to contact if one becomes a crime victim. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where prostitution and drug dealing might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable
    Was wondering if TTR is still as safe as it was a few years ago. WE were thinking of coming back this year has anyone had any trouble on the streets or at the bars?

2. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd say Cancun is just as dangerous as any other city in North America if not LESS.

We've never feared for our personal safety while on vacation there. Mind you we follow the rules of visiting any place you don't know well.

1. stick to the tourist areas.
    2. be alert (you can do this while drunk)
    3. avoid dark and run down areas (I wouldn't want to go around Market 28 after dark)
    4. don't go looking to do anything illegal (ie buy drugs, etc)
    5. if you're drunk... take a cab or the bus don't walk back to your hotel

I'm sure other people have some safety rules of their own.

3. nj123

nj123 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just got back and it was safe. Funny was the police was all gone and Mexico army was the police for a few days. But the police came back.

Drug problem there just like any US city.

4. Rick

Rick Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    safety

from what i have been reading it mainly a problem near the border areas. our advice mirrors the post above. commmon sense and stay in on the island.

5. jerrij

jerrij Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    We didn't have any problems, just stay in the tourist areas.

6. DavenRose

DavenRose I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I frequently travel to central Mexico on business and our company currently has a travel ban to those locations due to some recent kidnappings. It seems that the drug cartels are battling each other over turf (sounds familiar). We have never had a problem in Cancun, but using common caution just as you would anywhere goes a long way toward insuring your safety. There are problems to be found if you look for them, anywhere you go.

7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to disagree with a couple of the posts that say, stay in the tourist area. Most people would assume that is the hotel zone, but everyone should go to El Centro, (downtown), and experience where the locals live. I have been around Mercado 28 after dark, and felt as safe there as I do outside La Isla. Just use common sense. Go into town, buy the goods, eat real mexican food and enjoy a few cocktails at one of the local watering holes. Don't limit yourself, just be aware and be smart. Just like you would in any city in the US.

8. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A while back there where alot of posts about room theift, but that seems to be gone. May will be our 10th trip and we have always felt safe. Although I am a little nervous about this trip and our safely, but has nothing to do with crime in general in Cancun. ( not worried enough not to go) Although I did get attacked by a drunken waiter at Senior Frogs one time. Terry

9. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    im far more worried about the following:

(1) dj's playing crappy music
    (2) being gang raped by a herd of mule deer
    (3) dr love acting like a dick on the booze cruise
    (4) tonya getting drunk and taking of all her clothes - instead of just her top

just saying :wink:

10. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    you should have added beening attacked by drunken waiters, not funny then, but it is now.Terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice