How safe is it to drive through Mexico to Cancun?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by BrianL, May 20, 2007.

1. BrianL

BrianL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys

My girlfriend & I were supposed to be going to Cancun Wednesday morning but she just lost her passport.

We are thinking about, as the last resort, to drive down there instead.

How safe would this be?

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How safe is it to drive through Mexico to Cancun

If your girlfriend does not have a passport, how do you expect her to come back to the USA? Same problem you have with flying. You will not be able to enter the USA without your passport so why bother with the driving part. Now, she may be able to get a replacement passport, but you need to go to the passport office site, find the info on how to replace the passport, and then go to the city nearest you where they process passports in under 24 hours and have them give it a shot. No guarantee that you will have it, but better then nothing.

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: How safe is it to drive through Mexico to Cancun

You never know - maybe that was the plan, gabe. :wave:

OK, probably not.
    I believe that you can get back into the country from Mexico with alternative documents until 2008 if not travelling by air. I know you can (legally) if you're coming back by boat.

That being said, the regulations regarding those alternative documents are also fairly stringent and you'll need more than just a birth certificate and/or drivers license. People in San Diego (Tijuana) would know more about what's required as there's a LOT of land traffic across the border there every day.

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You do realise how LONG it takes to drive to Cancun from the US border?

By the time you get here, you'll probably have to turn around and go back to get back in time for work.

If you do want to drive somewhere, at least head to Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta instead. That''l cut 2+ days off yoour driving time.

Or drive to Monterrey, NL and get a cheap (by Mexican standards) flight from there.

5. BrianL

BrianL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey

She did find it! So we are off... leaving Boston at 6 AM... cant wait

And I was looking into driving because you dont need a passport to go to mexico by land, only by air.

6. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wrong, you can not enter Mexico by land any more without a passport

7. BrianL

BrianL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

8. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is correct. I went to Tijuana a week ago to get some dental work done and no issues with passport. They did mention for me to sober up b4 coming back to the US side next time tho.

9. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice