How is the beach post-Hurricane Dean?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by 212eric, Aug 26, 2007.

1. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This question keeps coming up and I have received mixed responses from actual travelers and the resorts themselves. The problem I have with the explanations from the resorts is that they have a reason to spin everything in a positive light. So my question to those who have recently returned, or any locals who have seen it for themselves:

What kind of condition is the beach in, especially from Punta Cancun at Km 9 to the Km 20 Club Med area?

Gracias a lot in advance,
    212eric

2. Viking5343

Viking5343 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also curious on how the beach is at the Golden Parnassus or Tucancun area if there is any info it would be apreciated. goin down in February

3. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From what I could tell the beach in those locations is the same as it was before. The only place that I see much of a difference at all is from Carisa/Palma north to the forum. 2 weeks ago the beach was nice but now it is just pockets of sand. If you are familiar with this little area you know that this is an area that the beach comes and goes pretty frequently anyway.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The beaches in front of the Ritz-Carlton, Parnassus, Le Meridien and Cancun Palace are, for all intents and purposes, gone. The Ritz is doing some repair work, although I don't know where they're getting the sand they're trucking in. Le Meridien and Ballenas are stripped down to the foundations, just like after Wilma.

5. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mixz1, thanks for the reply but I am left with a question; what is Ballenas?

212eric

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's the name of the beach near the Marriott Casa Magna and The Gran Melia.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, Playa Ballenas is the allegedly public beach that sits between Le Meridien and the Cancun Palace. Access to the beach had been severely affected by the prolonged reconstruction of the Palace and now that an 18 story condo is being constructed next to Le Meridien, access had been compromised again. Now, it's gone, so the whole discussion is academic at best.

With the impending construction at Delphines, the mess at Ballenas, and Dolphin Discovery co-opting all public parking at Langosta, there seems to be just Tortugas and Marlin as the only easily accessible public beaches. It seems as though the government has sold out those of us who live here in favor of the developers. I also have yet to read of any plans to repair the newly damaged beaches. :(

8. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Can you not access it near the Marriott though?

One of my friends who lives in Cancun works at the Marriott and told me that he has his family meet him there after work on Sundays and they access the beach near the Marriott.

9. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mixz1, ah so that's the Ballenas you mentioned. Okay then that leads me to my next question, what is supposedly going to be happening at Playa Delfines? I love that beach and would hate to see it lost to more development.

212eric

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Playa Ballenas lies in front of the stretch that encompasses the Ritz-Carlton, Le Meridien and Cancun Palace. The public access road is at KM 14.5 on Retorno del Rey, which is 1 block east of Kulkulcan Blvd. The road divides the Palace from the Meridien and is where the new condo tower is being built.

Technically I suppose you can reach any beach by walking along the water's edge, but Ballenas is where I describe it. I know, because I live there. It was one of the main reasons we bought our house. It's amazing how things change when the government sells you out to big money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice