How is Halloween celebrated in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Rudyman, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interested in what goes on for Halloween in Cancun? Also aware of Day of the dead and All Souls Day. Would it be disrespectful to go to a cemetary and observe ones celebrating their dead?

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I would be so amazed if anyone objected.

Once I was at Isla Holbox and, for lack of space, a family observing a funeral had positioned the deceased where all who passed on the narrow street could see. Family members and friends lined the street on either side, on folding chairs.

As I passed by I inquired about what was going on and they invited me to join them. I sat with the others and observed for ten minutes or so in a quiet manner.

It was all very solemn, and I enjoyed being invited to participate in their grief.

Unrelated: if you haven't visited Isla Holbox you should put it on your calendar for your next visit to Cancun. Make it an overnight away. What you will see is unpaved streets and a sea that is alive with fish, crustaceans and sea birds of all types. In other words, it is much more like Cancun was forty years ago.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    More particularly almost all workplaces set up a day of the dead table, choosing a theme to develop, for fun. Ours one year was rock stars, so images of deceased rock stars were displayed, along with other items typical at this time of year, skeletons and pumpkins. Offerings of food and drink for the dead were included.

Xcaret has a big day of the dead celebration that is worth going to, with a mock up of a cemetery which you can stroll around in semi-darkness.

4. Rudyman

Rudyman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you V. What's the best way to do Holbox from Cancun? Also day trip or do over night?

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice