How easy is it to get a job in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by drewp, Mar 11, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oftentimes people with professional degrees (chemists and others) are working in jobs like time share sales not because of preference bit because of necessity. Very difficult to find jobs in Mexico, even for the educated. Many, many doctors drive taxis in Mexico City.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That wouldn't surprise me, at all, gbchayctca: Mexico has a chronic problem with unemployment and underemployment, and the professional classes are not exempt from this malady. But, what is generally true becomes, to a degree, meaningless when applied to an individual case.

Finding work to do here is a matter of figuring out where you could fit in, and how big a price you're willing to pay to make it happen. For many, it simply wouldn't be worth the price; that said, there are scores of foreigners living and working, happily, in Cancun. Others, less fortunate, have tried to make a go of it, suffered setbacks and disappointments, and left.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I have to say is, if it wasn't for my bf who works his tail off 14+ hours a day; I sure as hell wouldn't have made it here. I have gone to 4 Timeshare Interviews, and only 1 was somewhat doable....it was just 100% commission, as all of them were, but they seemed somewhat trustworthy. The others were three of the most horrendous operations I have ever witnesses. They were lying thieves who encouraged their staff to say WHATEVER it took to make a reservation. I could only imagine what their sales people do once the innocent actually take the sales presentation. I know not all of them are like that, but it sure is a cut throat job that is not as easy as people think.
    Anywho....thanks for letting me rant.

5. lilnottsman

lilnottsman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just out of curiosity why would you not just move to Miami. You'd be looking at the same piece of ocean and scenery, latin American influences, except you'd have the advantages of living in the US (cheaper electronics, cheaper electricity, cheaper household goods).

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Ignoring that Cancun is on the Caribbean, and not on the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico, neither of which can match the beauty of the water, here, the main thing that keeps us out of the U.S. is the absence of readily available, comprehensive, and affordable health care. This issue is discussed in some depth on the thread-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13624-medical-care-retirees-cancun.html

Through a combination of permanent international health insurance, self-insurance, and the considerably lower cost of medical care and treatment, it's easier to achieve here, than there.

7. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I buy an awful lot of electronics and use more electricity than I should, but even with all that considered, it is incredibly less expensive to live here than Miami.

For $600 a month here, we have a cozy and well kept 2/1 apartment in a quiet and safe neighborhood only 2.5 blocks from the beach. The last time I was in Miami, a 400 sq. foot studio in a similar area (slightly farther from the beach) was $1200+.

8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thinking lilnottsam might be asking the original poster this question? But if not, I have NEVER had a Desire to ever go to Miami, even to visit. Just had to Cruise out of there. My cousins who live there, HATE it. And the Crime is Dade County, is out of control. Ontop of that, Miami is so very very expensive.

9. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey where did all my topic activety go:) Crime is way more exciting than jobs any day!

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL...Steve split the topics. It's now listed as Crime. Yeah, seems we all have plenty to say on the topic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice