How easy is it to get a job in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by drewp, Mar 11, 2010.

1. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The guy that did my timeshare pitch was a chemist by trade - I can only imagine that selling stuff on a resort is mucn more enjoyable than being stuck in a lab all day.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Never did timeshare, myself, but as I understand it, it's commission work, and subject to seasonal fluctuations, with low season here being a long stretch from May through November, more or less. Is that a factor, those of you who will know?

3. LTL

LTL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Getting a job is not necessarily the hard part. Making money is.

By law we can not take a job “away” from a Mexican.

Your choices basically are;

Timeshare
    Call center
    Real estate
    Teaching English (very few)

The chances of you working as a bellman or front desk are slim to none. If you have a career that you enjoy and are making good money, I would not recommend you move here. If you do, make sure to have a pretty decent sized nest egg to keep you going while getting settled.

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some great info! I have a 6 year old daughter I don't see moving away from for another 12 - 14 years but it is great to dream.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  7. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did notice a couple possible money making businesses that seem to not be in Cancun. Is it illegal to sell ice cream bars on the beach or roads. I saw a couple ice cream places at La Isla but we would have killed for a ice cream bar on the beach.

8. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Am I reading things correctly? An foreigner can't work a job that a Mexican can work. So if my grandma wanted to move to Cancun and work as a walmart stocker - she can not be hired since it would take a Mexican job?? What if she gets a Mexican version of a Green Card?

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's not that open and shut, so far as jobs go and, furthermore, there are ways to create work for yourself so that, in fact, you are taking no job at all, yet still working. (Have you gotten that far, yet, in your reading?)

As for a "green card" (immigrant status) that's a whole nother kettle of fish, and unnecessary, if all you want to do is live and work here.

If you've read all the way to the end of that previous thread, here's another for you-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

After a six month long struggle, I now have work in two government institutions, one state, and one national: arguably, my work could be done by a Mexican national, but I qualified for the work and was given official permission to do it.

10. drewp

drewp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow - sounds like this topic has been discussed a couple times before! V - very detailed thread with a lot of good info for someone that is just thinking about moving down under.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice