How do you tip?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by kevinoc81, Feb 20, 2007.

1. kevinoc81

kevinoc81 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is not an amount question, I will tip what I want to tip, but I mean how do you guys tip the people you don't see. Especially the cleaning lady. Do you just leave it on the bed? In an envelope? How do you write for the cleaning lady in spanish? Do you wait til you see her? What if you tip the wrong cleaner (I assume there's more than one)? Just wondering. I'd like to leave her (or him) something, but want to know what is the best (or proper) way to do it.

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    if you want to tip the maids, leave the money on the pillow and even write a message on a napkin or paper possibly saying simply, gracias!! Thats how we usually tip the maids.

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is exactly what we do also. We always buy a good beer cooler at Walmart and give that to them too, they really like that.

4. tele65

tele65 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tipping

A tip re:tips. Take some fresh, crisp, uncirculated $2 bills. . .they love 'em

If you leave it on the table for the maid, I'd put a note under that says, "Su propina" or "la propina pa' la camarera"--"your tip" or "the tip for the maid".

5. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When tipping the maid, I take the pillow and place it in the middle of the bed and place my tip mney on it. That way they know for sure it's for them. Or I try and give it to them in person.

Some poeple leave the money on the table in the room, or such. And some maids won't touch it, not knowing if it's their tip or not

6. BSN

BSN Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    we leave it on the table w/ a note.

7. Bradley104

Bradley104 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No matter the amount you decide on- tip a little bit everyday (because often the maid for your room will change throughout the week). The bed seems to be the best place I have found to tip the maid- that way she knows it is for her (him). I usually put the tip at the foot of the bed with a little note "para nuestra camarera, Gracias" ("for our maid, thank you").

8. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All the advice above is really good however...

Bradley104 mentions something that I had not considered. Of course it is quite conceivable that the maid at the end of your stay may not be the one who cleaned the room on the first night of your trip.

212eric

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the housekeepers, tip every day to make sure the right person gets it. Often, on the second day, they will do little extra things for you. Extra towels, fancy towel designs, etc.

Many of the hotels also have little envelopes on the desk/table and the housekeeper puts her name on it. Then you insert the tip and leave it on the table or on the bed. Believe me, they will find it.

In my experience you can leave coins, keys, gum or whatever and unless it looks like a tip, the change will be there when you return.

10. kevinoc81

kevinoc81 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, seems like leaving it on pillow or table daily, with a note seems to be the best option. Thanks all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice