How do you handle your cash in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by bob & michele, Jan 19, 2007.

1. bob & michele

bob & michele Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read about taking singles for tips which we are going to do, but besides that how do you all handle your money?
    Do you take all cash or travelers checks? When you go out to eat off the resort, how do you pay? Is it necessary to convert over to pesos?
    Just curious what everyone does.

Also which restaurant do you go to in the mornings to make reservations. I think I read somewhere that one handles reservations for all 3.

2 DAYS AND A WAKE UP!! :lotsofmichaelf:

Cheers,
    Michele

2. Frbo

Frbo Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have just always taken cash with us and when we wanted to go outside the resort we exchanged right at the check in counter. We did not do alot of exchange at one time as they will not convert back.

Frank & Bonny

3. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You go to the Italian restaurant (Il Piecere) to make reservations for all the restaurants UNLESS you are Premier or RCI. In that case you go to th Premier office.

I take a bit of cash and my ATM card and just get cash in pesos from there as I need it.

4. glenn/monique

glenn/monique Titties n Beer Registered Member

Ratings:
    +423 / 1
    We take US dollars and use US mostly. Walmart has a good exchange rate if doing some shopping. We just don't need to leave the sexy pool that much.

5. bgsxe

bgsxe Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :cool: used u.s. cash, worked just fine. used the room safe to store extra cash when we were playing in the pool. have a super trip wish we were going too. :D

6. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    US singles needed for luggage handlers in the US (leaving and coming, so have some left over).

Pesos are needed mostly for buses, taxis, maids, and tips for luggage handlers. Convert once in MEX, hotel exch rate is usually OK, ATM might be slightly better - all leftovers pesos can be applied to your hotel bill before paying the remainder with credit card, but keep enough for transport and luggage handling on your way back to the airport.

Use credit card for restaraunts, Walmart, tours, etc (AMEX has the lowest foreign exchange surcharge - 1%).

7. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd beg to differ on that...

I never exchange at the resort. Resorts rates are usually a fair bit lower. Without much hassle you can get a better rate either through the ATM or at a Cambio.

8. Rick

Rick Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    money ideas

we take trv checks and 2-3oo in cash and a special rollof ones, $25 per day in like new $1 bills just for tipping. works well for us and we use the room safe. rick and sherri

9. CRAZYMIKE

CRAZYMIKE Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D We use U.S money and Peso. 10 to 1 is the norm.. And Karen is so true at the resort the exchange rate is way lower.. I agree Walmart was very good.

10. Ian

Ian Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll second that, hotel exchange rates around the world are renound ( SP! Sorry its early, I have the hangover from hell and my internal spell checker isny working :lol: :lol: ) for there appauling echange rates. Best off , in BBG's case use the atm and cash exch place just out side the hotel doors.

And for any Brits reading bring pesos's not dollars as they give you your change when using dollars in pesos and goose you on the exchange rate, plus you never know where you'll end up and not all places ( although 99.9% do ) take dollars, also there's plenty cash machines that take all major UK bank cards...

Ian :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice