How Do You Get IVA Rebate From Airlines by Having an FM-3?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Apr 8, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I got my FM-3 a few months ago, I was told by Spirit that I would get a rebate of Mexican IVA taxes since I was exempt by virtue of having an FM-3. They told me it was automatic but nothing has happened yet. When I call Spirit, no one seems to know what I am talking about.

Does anybody have a clue about this subject as far as airfare goes?

Thanks

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I could understand it if you had a company /RFC number and used the flights for business - but a tax rebate just because you have a FM3 sounds weird to me.

Dunno though, stranger things have happened.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was told this by Luis, the head dude for Spirit here. He is off to Costa Rica at the moment as Spirit is about to start service there.

They are going to have flights from here connecting through Ft. Lauderdale but I don't think that route will be a big seller for them. Copa goes there with a connection in Panama City for pretty low fares. But the big reason that it is close to impossible for the average Mexican citizen to get a visa to the U.S. even if only to change planes.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know if this is what you are talking about but when you fly between Mex and the US there's a tax that you don't have to pay if you have an FM-3, an FM-2 or are a Mexican. But this tax is built-in to the plane ticket price. Theoretically you ought to be able to get it back, but I've never figured out how to.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Are you talking about departure tax?

That would make sense, since if you have a FM3 you're a resident and not really departing as there is an intention to return.

Unlike the US, when flying to the UK the departure tax is payable separately to the ticket. I think it's immigration who administer and collect the payment.

Jannet and Dani being nationals and me being an FM3 holder none of us should have to pay it, but I've never found anyone yet who will honour this - we've got it down from full price for all 3 of us to nothing for Jannet and Dani and half price for me but am sure they just pocket it.

Last time we asked for a written receipt, took the guys number and said we'd be talking to his boss. He looked a little scared and was reluctant to provide the receipt, of course the boss wasn't available and we had a flight to catch, so nothing became of it.

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well there are sales taxes that are only applied to certain people (usually residents) and foreigners are able to reclaim them later, in some countries.

Many places are set up to be able to do it at the airport on departure. Last time I was in London I bought a video camera on Regent St, and the sales guy charged me sales tax, but gave me a form to fill out and present at the airport. When I got to heathrow, I went to a little bootha dn they refunded me the sales tax in cash.

In Panama, all I needed to do at the store was show my foreign passport, and they knocked the sales tax off there and then.

Exactly what tax are you talking about TJ? Sober up and get specific!

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Re: How Do You Get IVA Rebate From Airlines by Having an FM-

Not sure anyone here does either mate :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice