How did your kids deal with the loss of a pet?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinnVegas, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tonight while playing cars with my 4 yo son my loving dog passed away. I must have been 5 minutes late because his body was warm. There were no warning sings.

The vet said it could have been a number of things. I can't bring myself to believe he's gone. Just 45 mins b4 while watching tv he was doing his fav thing (licking my face as if it was a juicy steak).

I'd like to know how your kids dealt with it? I don't know what to tell my boy tomorrow when he asks where Maxie is. What do I do? Get another pet quick?

I hope noone has to go through this.

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sooooo sorry for your loss! I can't even imagine (heck kids dealing is one thing, I LOSE it when I lose a pet). I remember as a kid my parents making sure we had a "funeral" or a ceremony of some kind when a pet passed and it helped me. I've got no other advice, I am not looking forward to similar situations with my son. :( :(

3. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just had my 14 year old Golden Retriever pass a few months ago. My Daughter as well as the 2 of us were very upset but we explained that Canela was very old and starting to suffer so she was happier now. I think it affects you more than your 4 year old they tend to forget quickly were as we have all of the memories.
    I do have 4 other dogs and they are all either her puppies or grandpups.

4. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, it's a good idea to have a "funeral" of some sort, so your little boy can say good bye.

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a "funeral" of some sort is good too.

Losing a pet is hard on everyone and it's ncie to have a chance to say goodbye.

If you are concerned about your child's reaction that it's clear your dog was more than a pet but rather a part of the family.

Treat it like that in may respects and make sure everyone knows it's okay (and in fact it's healthy) to grieve.

A service of some kind helps do that.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not rush out and fill the void with another pet. Let everyone grieve this poor doggie first. And when you are all done you'll be a better position to take in a new pet.

It seems to me that the hard part for your child is that this was so unexpected. When an animal is sick and old everyone prepares for the death. But when it comes suddenly there's just loss and it makes no sense emotionally.

7. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh Martin I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I agree with the others here you should definetly have a service of some type as your son is only 4 he will probably do amazingly well you will be the one morning your loss for a long time to come.

I also agree going right out to get another pet is not usually the way to go give it at least a few weeks and if you cannot stand coming home without those 4 tappy feet dancing around to greet you then you may need a new furry love......but that decision will be in your heart for you alone to make.

Again I am so sorry for your loss.

8. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you ladies.

That was one crappy way to start the new year. Alex seems to be coping very well though. It'll be a while b4 I get used to not having Maximillieno around.

9. Fletch

Fletch Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im sorry to hear about your loss, I know all too well how it is to lose a pet.

If I may share a story from my junior high days......We had a golden retriever named Bailey, and one night, just as we did every night before we went to bed, we let her outside so she could go to the bathroom, and then come back inside. Usually she would just come back up onto our deck and sit at the door and bark or cry a bit until someone let her in. Well my mother was tired of waiting for her, so asked me to go out and get her, so I did. I searched, and searched and she was no where to be found. Now Im starting to panic, so I run and check the gates, and they are both locked, so I go get a flashlight. I walked to the side of the house and there she was lying right there at my feet. I yelled to her to try and get her up but she wouldnt move. Finally, I touched her side, and felt the coldest, scariest chill run up my body that I will NEVER forget. I was devistated, spent the whole night a miserable wreck, and missed the next day of school as well.

Very soon after, to fill the void we tried another dog, a different kind. Needless to say, she didnt last too long as she was aggressive and vicious lol. We brought her back to where we got her from about a month afterwards, that dog prob would have bit my face off while I was sleeping.

This was all in september I believe, so we took a few months, and around Christmas time we got out new puppy, another goldie named Maggie. Still have her to this day

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I miss having a doggie so much! Our 15 year old retriever died last year and we've been waiting, having a break from all that responsibility. But now I'm getting itchy for a puppy. I think we'll take in a street dog, if we can find a young one that's not too much of a mental case yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice