How About the Pool Area?

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by MinnesotaWoman, Apr 18, 2014.

1. MinnesotaWoman

MinnesotaWoman Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've been to both Temptations (once when it was still Blue Bay Getaway) and Golden Parnassus twice - as well as several other adult only, and not adult only in the area. We loved both Temptations and the GP. My husband is turning 50 in October, and I've been looking for something different. I think I've found it, or at least - I think I am willing to give it a try.
    I know that the beach is better at GOV than Temptations, although we had no problem with the beach at Temptations, either. So I am more wondering about the pool. Is it nice? Is there music? How is the swim up bar -- fun?
    Thanks! Hope to see you in October! (Been going back and forth in decesion making between GOV, Oasis Sens, and Ocean Maya Royale in Playa del Carmen --- OR just going back to either the Golden or Temptations. If there aren't too many bad reviews in the next month of so, I think we'll give GOV a try!)

2. crissynchris

crissynchris Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    We had a great time at the pool. Spent just about every waking minute there during the day just drinking and talking to friends :)

They do play music, starting around 10 AM it's sort of mellow, spa-like music then they change it up to a mix of rock & dance music during the day. Not too loud, you can still have a conversation. It was pretty warm for the first few days then the storm blew through and cooled it off a bit.

The swim up bar.... Well, I guess it could be fun? Lol... I don't know, everyone congregated around it so I usually went to the other bar up on the deck. Faster service. U

3. desire-66

desire-66 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Pool is good. Music changes about noon and gets livelier There is no shade at all after 1. That option would be good also the washrooms are a long way away.

4. JeffnNik

JeffnNik Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The pool is quite nice. Whether or not it's "fun" depends on what you're looking for. It's much quieter than Temptation. There are fewer people in it (many stay on the beach) and not much for activities to get the crowd going. It's not as much a party as Temptation - no hot tubs to cram into with a bunch of people and nobody doing bady shots or running around with AIWC. It's mostly people drinking and chatting. It's definitely a more relaxed atmosphere. What did you like most about the pool at Temptation? Anything you didn't like?

5. MinnesotaWoman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I know there is nothing like Temptations, except Temptations. That's ok -- we might go back there some other time. We also liked the Golden Parnassus, and that is a lot more mellow than Temptations, but it's still all adult, and fun to be had -- at the Tiki Bar and elsewhere. I know that the crowd in any resort is going to make a huge difference. Since we'll be going in October, it probably will be more on the quiet side, and that's ok.
    So - I know GOV will be different than either of those. The fact that its adult only and on a good stretch of beach is what is making me lean that way right now -- and the location -- we'd like to get out of the resort a couple of times, probably.
    We don't need a lot of shade (we live in Minnesota, we want as much sun on vacation as we can get!) so that doesn't worry me --- but the bathrooms are far from the pool area? Like how far? And how many are there around the resort? Is there a better place to sit by the pool and/or beach, to be closer to some restrooms? This could be a deal breaker for me -- when I drink, I need to use the facilities quite often.
    Thanks!

6. JeffnNik

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's not that far to the bathroom but you have to go inside the hotel. It's less than convenient but shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. We went to the Ocean Maya in December and it was ok but I would choose GOV over Ocean Maya for sure. The pool with the bar is pretty quiet - most action it sees is the daily volleyball game. There really isn't much of a beach either - it's so close to the ocean they built up a sort of wall against the water with glass panels so you can see the water and have chairs in that area - there are many trees so lots of shade. Depending on how wavy it is the chairs near the glass panels get soaked from the waves crashing over the wall. And having that wall seems to make the water pretty murky. So I would remove that option from your list for sure.

7. MinnesotaWoman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, JeffnNik --- I know the beach at Ocean Maya isn't great -- that's why my thoughts keep coming back to adult only places in Cancun -- I know the beach/ocean is great at most places. We even thought Temptation beach was ok, and I'm thinking Ocean Maya may not even stack up to that. I know there are more upscale adult only places, but this is kind of an "extra" trip we are sneaking in, and don't want to pay a lot. Also, in most cases, more upscale means 'BOR-ING" lol
    (We did like VIM a lot, though)
    At any rate --- like I said, we've been to GP and Temptation --- and we loved them, but just want something new.
    GOV doesn't seem that big, so I'm sure the bathroom situation can't be that big of an issue. Are there others scattered around the resort - besides the ones nearest the pool that you have to go inside for? I can't even remember what the situation was like at Temptations --- but the GP had some small ones that were pretty convenient -- or else you had to go inside. But I think the GOV is bigger than the GP. It's probably not a worry --- but I worry a little, anyway. : )
    How about the outside bars --- I know there is a swim up, and another bar near the pool, right? Is there a beach bar?

Thanks!

8. JeffnNik

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's no beach bar but the beach is immediately beside the pool so the extra bar by the pool is convenient enough for the beach too. There's a lobby bar closeby too. The resort is super small so really everything is close. And there are bathrooms closeby all over too. It's just the bathroom at TTR is right beside the pool so compared to that it wasn't great. I posted a pretty detailed TR you might want to check out (April 3-10). If this is an"extra" vacation and you're not expecting TTR type party you will probably love it. It's definitely great value for the cost.

9. MinnesotaWoman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does the bar by the pool have seating?

10. JeffnNik

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No - there's not much for seating anywhere around the pool. Very few lounge chairs and a few big beds. The bar beside the pool is the same place they make the sushi and there are a half dozen or so tables next to it but those are for the sushi thing. If you hang out at the pool you will mainly be standing up in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice