Hospital scam warning

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by lilnottsman, Feb 7, 2007.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The original post, written over three years ago, was a bit of a stretch at the time, making a capital case against Hospiten for less than $300 of ER charges, when people could ask why they bothered to go to the hospital on an emergency basis, with those symptoms.

I'm not sure what Sunny is referring to: does anybody know?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Hospitals are the kind of places where you'll find bad reports whatever country they are in. People love to mention bad experiences (not just hospitals) far more than they mention good ones.

I would have to say that private healthcare in Cancun is not as excellent, wide ranging or well equipped as other parts of the World but it's far from amateur.

3. tere

tere Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    About the ambulances running out of gas..that part might be referring to what happened in the aftermath of the explosion in Playa de Carmen recently. It was reported in a Canadian newspaper account that the ambulance carrying a victim ran out of gas and that the attendants asked the woman's daughter who was riding along to pay for the gas.

4. CancunNurse

CancunNurse Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hospiten

For all those that are reputable health care professionals, the name Hospiten shouldn't even be muttered too loud! Try $25,000 for a simple appendectomy and a 1 night stay. That's what they do to tourists...and then threaten them when they won't pay the ridiculous, exorbitant fees! For those that want to have your money surgically removed, stick with Hospiten!

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If this is a pattern or practice, as you suggest, why don't we hear more about it?

I expect the Profeco (Fed Gov Consumer Protection Agency in Mexico) would quickly deal with a case such as the one you mentioned, if given a chance. Their website specifically speaks of the rights of foreigners to complain about services they're received at the hands of Mexican companies, but guests to Mexico might not be aware of it. T.J. has said the organization is powerful, and effective.

6. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can only speak to the (can't quite count) numerous times we've gone.
    1) ENT for my vertigo and neurologist (in CUN who I really didn't like) and then to Merida for Star Medica and a neuro I really DID like who all agreed with the initial ENT at Playa (who works at CUN also). $450 for each consult but $6000+ for the MRI.
    2) Herniated disk of my husband. $450 consult (PdC).
    3) Confirmation of Osgood Schlatter for my (now) 16yo $450 consult PdC with Ortho.
    4) Consult with PdC gyn for breast mass, ultrasound (read by 3 docs) $650.
    5) Emergency for 11yo who fell from 2nd floor onto her back. X-rays and Pedi and Ortho consults in ER, $1500.
    6) Emergency for anaphalaltic reaction for (same!) 11yo with Pedi consult in ER, shot and drugs $1200.
    7) ER for anaphalactic reaction (me this time) with IV, drugs and more drugs (mine was worse) $1500.

These have all been within the last 2 years and prices in pesos. We're VERY happy with the PdC Hospiten and also with the PdC Playa International (Hyperbaric) Clinic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice