HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS CANCUN ZONA HOTELERA

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ateparker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ateparker

ateparker Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband is an employee of Holiday Inn and can get this hotel cheap. We plan on using hotel as base for traveling to Isla and proximity to airport on our return home. Any information good or bad is appreciated.
    Proximity to restaurants, bus stops, beach, etc.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    This hotel is in the Pok Ta Pok area around Km 7.5, so it's not beachfront nor on the lagoon.

Bus stop is a five minute walk and from there a five minute journey to the party zone, or a 15 min bus ride to downtown. The ferry to Isla at Playa Tortugas is just about walking distance.

There is also another Holiday Inn called Cancun Arenas which is beachfront around Km 2.5

3. ateparker

ateparker Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not familiar with the ferry from Playa Tortugas to Isla. We traveled to Isla via Puerto Juarez (bus ride from Cancun) the last time we were there. Where is this ferry located and is it the same cost? Are there any beaches withing walking distance of the HI Express? I believe price for HI Express is $29/night and Cancun Arenas for $100/night AI. Is Cancun Arenas worth the extra for all-inclusive?

4. svtcobra242

svtcobra242 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ateparker said:

If you plan on drinking booze and do alot of eating, then it is def worth it.
    you may also want to view the amenities. there might be more to do at the AI vs. the express. A plus for sure is the beachfront at the AI

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    The ferry from Playa Tortugas is a lot closer to you, I think the ferry is $15 round trip which may be a litle more thna from P Juarez. But if you stay at the Holiday Inn Express by the time you figuring in the time and expense of getting to Puerto Juarez going from Playa Tortugas is the better option.

Playa Tortugas is a beach also, not the prettiest in Cancun but fine.

I dont know, an extra $71 a night per person seems a like big jump to stay at the Cancun Arenas, you'd have to eat and drink a lot to make up the differenc ein cash, but it is a nicer location.

6. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ultramar not only runs service from PJ, but this company also has fast ferries from out of Playa Tortugas. It costs $15 U.S. dollars per round trip. However I recommend you get a one way ticket to Isla so as to allow for flexibility. The last ferry back is at around 6 p.m.ish, but if you wish, you can take a later ferry back to Puerto Juarez and it's cheaper.

212eric

7. Kathleen-MD

Kathleen-MD Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HOliday Inn

There is also a Holiday Inn on the beach side. This is new and is close to the Blue Bay on the Island. You might want to chck into this one.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The HI Express is not too close to the main road that runs through the Hotel Zone. Can be less than perfect if it is deadly hot, which it is now, or raining.

It's a $20-$22 US ride to the airport from this hotel by taxi which is the path of least resistance. If you are traveling light enough, you can take the bus downtown for about $.60 US per person an then take the ADO to the airport for about $3 US. You would get out to the blvd from the HI, cross the street and take any R-1 bus which will drop you across from the bus terminal. Get off the bus when you see McDonalds.

You can also take the R-1 - PROVIDED IT SAYS PUERTO JUAREZ on the front - to (I suggest) Gran Puerto for the ferry to Isla Mujeres. It is about $3 US per person each way on the ferry and the same $.60 US per person each way for the bus. Get off this bus in where you see the tall tower which is actually a not so good restaurant. You get a bit more of the local flavor on the bus and it never hurts to save $$ on transportation that you can spend on beer. My buddy Eric and I have debated this publically and privately for years. He says save the time but he is a stinking rich New York publisher of the People's Choice Guide. I prefer to save the $$ which can be spent on cold beer, and so that if you are a tourist you can get a bit of non-tourist experience and the time difference is really not a big deal.

On the island you can get Sols for $7.5 pesos across the street from the beach. There is a returnable deposit but when the smoke all clears you are drinking very cheap beer. Get off the ferry and turn left at the street. You will see a lighthouse structure after 3-4 minutes and the little convenience store there is the place. Then walk across to the beach and you are in business. You can just lie on your towels or rent chairs with or without an umbrella. Figure $100 pesos for 2 chairs and an umbrella.

This is technically Playa Norte, or North Beach. Many people like to go around the point but the water is incredibly shallow there and it is a bit nasty in places along the shore thanks to the high water from Dean. The water at the beach across from the lighthouse is deeper but it is roped off not too far from shore as it deepens pretty fast and you don't want to get run over by boat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice