Holbox Info

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Oct 7, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone here have info for a tourist on the best ways to get from Cancun airport to Holbox? I hunted for a bus schedule from Cancun to Chiquila but came up short.

How about nice but not expensive hotels? I've camped in Holbox, so I don't know any of the hotels.

A close friend of my bro-in-law is asking...any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've found bus schedules on other travel sites, but are you looking for something from an "official" source such as Mayab?

3. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey RG,

Can't help with the bus schedule but Elements is a nice clean inexpensive hotel.

5. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We went there a few months a go, was an amazing place. I think the bus leaves at 7.30am and 1.30pm from the ADO in town and takes about 3 and a half hours and it drops you right by the ferry place.

As for somewhere to stay, we stayed at Casa Las Tortugas, it's a beautiful hotel, fairly priced and excellent friendly service.

Place to eat is the Argentinian restaurant (there was only one), has the best steak have ever eaten in Mexico.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. This friend is looking for a not-expensive vacation, so I don't think she'll be flying there. Thanks for the other info, I'll pass it on.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG,

There are buses that go daily from downtown. I think they are Mayab and not ADO but it has been a while since I took the bus. The trick with the bus is that when coming back to Cancun you don't have but 2 time options so you better not miss the last bus, which means don't miss the boat back to the mainland.

However, for $200 there are private boats standing by but the bus usually takes off when the boat passengers arrive. I learned this the hard way.

You can also take a taxi for about $700.

I have stayed at Tortugas and it is nice and not expensive. I am going to PM you with contact info for Eddie, whose house I sold recently. He is the expert on Holbox. I cannot think of the name of this other place I stayed but the owner's name was Lino and it was dirt cheap, but clean and nice. The place next to Tortugas is similar and I have had clients stay there. It may be called Mapaches.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO PACK LOTS OF INSECT REPELLANT. THE MOST FAMOUS BIRD ON HOLBOX IS THE MOSQUITO.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks TJ - I'll let my friend know this stuff. That's great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice