High Definition TV in Cancun??????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, Dec 28, 2006.

1. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Any techie's living in Cun? :shock:
    If so could you tell me if flat screen LCD and or Plasma TV's are available for sale in your area? Also does the cable TV company broadcast in Hi-Def format?
    The reason I'm asking is that our Phillips Hi-def set broke 2 months ago :cry: and we are still waiting for a circuit board from Germany to fix it. I don't want to move a large screen hi-tech TV to Cun and would prefer to buy it once we are living there. In the meantime we would like to get this 5 year old set fixed and make in last here one more year. Thanks in advance to anyone's comments that could be informative to us. :?:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Yes you can get flat screen LCD or Plasma TV's here. Just got back from Costco and a 42" Phillips LCD is $3,000. Probably cheaper in the US but bulky to transport.

Not sure re Hi Def broadcasting, I suspect not but dont know for sure.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As Steve said, Plasma and LCD sets are widely available. There is a greater range of choices in other cities i.e. Merida and you can have the item shipped to Cancun.

Sky does not send HD. I doubt that Cablemas does either. There are ways of getting United States based satellite TV, including HD broadcasts. It's fun to have your antenna pointed in the opposite direction from everyone else's. It's also less expensive than Sky after the initial equipment expense. PM me for details.

And not to beat a dead horse, but the broadcast quality and technical standards of Sky are horrible. I have no experience with Cablemas, but I suspect if you've come from a major broadcast market stateside, you'll be very troubled by Mexican television. You can search the forum for previous rants on this subject :? .

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm watching a 42" plasma I got on special at Costco, right now.

On Cablemas, they're currently rolling out a new high quality cable run all throughout Cancun for their digital service which may already be running in some areas. Once they've done that, adding HD channels will be easy, but there's not that much content available yet.

I've heard there's FTA HD content available, and I have the spare dishes, dish positioner and PCI sat decoder cards sitting here, but it's finding the time to stick it all up on the roof.

5. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just saw the Sony Bravia 32 inch for $16000.00 pesos at Sams the 40 was $22000.00 pesos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice