HIDDEN JEWELS - Background, The Tease, The Mission

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., May 20, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BACKGROUND:
    A couple of months ago I took a friend to Super Carne. She had just moved to Cancun and was looking for great food, great deals, etc. "where the locals go."

Last week I could not wait to tell her to meet me at Club Sandwich Cafe where we proceeded to pound $1 beers. She told me she had been back to Super Carne several times and had introduced it to many of her new friends. She then told me about a place she had been to, but did not remember the name or the exact location. Being properly loaded up on cheap beer we decided to try to find it, as she had a general idea of the location. Turn left after the Pemex and blah, blah, blah. Hell, that narrowed it right down. But we found it. There really aren't that many Pemex's. Not like a 7-Eleven on every corner in the US. So now I know where it is. And don't forget (guys will understand this) you can turn left or right most anywhere. It depends on which direction you are going. So the left turn means nothing really.

THE TEASE:
    I am not yet going to tell you the name or where it is. But I went there last nght and it is to die for. Better than Cambalache at a fraction of the price. Wonderful, attentive service. A bit off the beaten path. Could be my new favorite place. With each post of a real Hidden Treasure, I will give a clue about this place. Cambalache was the first clue. Which will probably be the giveaway to some of you. But play along for a while at least.

THE MISSION:

Give up your Hidden (Dining) Treasures.

Out of the way places.
    Great food.
    Great values.
    Places you need to know where you are going, as you would not be driving by and just say "Let's stop here."
    Places we would probably never find without a recommendation.

I will start with my often referred to Pozoleria Castillo. SM 70, off Lopez, between Palenque & Uxmal. 20 meters down the first street left of the Pemex. it's one way the wrong way so if you are driving you have to wind around and approach it from north to south. But just a super place and of course Pozole is what is is all about. $45 for small bowl. $50 for large. Choice of rojo o verde; pollo or puerco. Served with lots of goodies to mix into an already wonderful bowl of this famous Yucatan stew. Will make your nose run even if you don't add some fresh habanero. Served with chicharon. Yummy.

I hope we can share and enjoy our Hidden Treasures. I look forward to hearing about yours.

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My hidden treasure isn't really a restaurant, but a good place to go if you want a great, filling lunch.

If you go to Apple Vacations on Palenque and take the side street where the entrance to Apple is, there's a row of tiny, attached houses. You'll see a red plastic table in their very small yard. They sell kick butt comida corrida, and if you don't want it to go, you can sit in their yard.

35 pesos for whatever agua fresca they made that day, an entree, rice, beans, tortillas, and salsa. If the table is taken, you can also sit in their living room and watch TV as you eat.

She gives you six flautas per order of flautas de pollo or a huge piece of meat if you get milanesa de res o de pollo.

No fixed menu...sometimes I go and she's only got one thing left and some days she's prepared 5 or 6 dishes.

3. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey T.J. that sounds like the place I was telling you about.
    Remember? The place where the guys dance to madonna!!!!

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Miss Bear,

Of course I remember. But this is not that place mi amor. This is a family place and not where a bunch of Madonna lovers are Vogueing out. And no guessing until you post about your Hidden Treasure.

It is a good thing that Alg does not post on this board. He would have a field day with this one.

5. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I could go on for days with this thread but for now there are 2 places both have comida corrida one is off of uxmal behind Omega almost were yachilan t's into Uxmal. They are open from about 10 am till midnight and they have excellaet comida casera for about 35 pesos including agua they also makse the best Sopes outside of Puebla.
    Another is in Donceles if you take a right at the Oxxo on Bonampak were you cut through to go to Puerto Juarez you go straight till you have to turn left and about 50 ft down on the left is El Atajo (Shortcut) and they have Excellent Menu Ejecutivo also are open for Breakfast and have Charcoal grilled Tacos at night . Both are super Cheap and Super Delish.

Is the place your talking about the Uruguayan owned restaurant that has great Empanadas too? Johnny the owner is a freind of ours but I can't remember the name of the place maybe El Emporio?

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are quite fond of a tiny little place that sells authentic cemitas from Puebla. It's kind of kitty corner from The City Club (I can never remember street names not being a driver, but I think it's Andres Q. Roo). Yummy, gigantic cemitas, I think they are about 40 pesos and Jorge insists they are like "real" Poblano cemitas.

Quoted from Wikipedia....
    "There are several kinds of cemitas in México.

Although the name is the same, there are diverse types of cemitas depending on the region. The cemita of Sahuayo, Michoacán, is a smooth bread, without sesame seeds and including piloncillo. Its flavor is somewhat sweet and very flavorful; usually it is accompanied by a glass of milk, a cornflour drink (atole), or some sort of hot drink. It is not used like a sandwich.

A cemita, also known as a cemita poblana, is a Mexican sandwich and street food that originated in the city of Puebla.[1]

It is distinguished from a torta by the fluffy sesame-seeded egg roll that it is served on. Additionally, the ingredients usually are restricted to sliced avocado, meat, white cheese, onions and red sauce (salsa roja).[2] Recently it has appeared on the streets of New York, Los Angeles, and other cities with Mexican food vendors.

The most popular meat in a cemita is beef milanesa, a thinly pounded and deep-fried piece of beef. Cueritos (pickled pig skin), queso de puerco (pork head cheese), and carnitas (stewed pork) are also popular. The cheese is often panela, a bland white cheese with the consistency of fresh mozzerella. Quesillo, a Mexican string cheese, is also used.

The root of the word cemita is said to come from "semite," referring to the Lebanese immigrants to Mexico who introduced the particular style of roll that goes into the sandwich.[citation needed]"

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering about that Cemita place myself. I first had them in Puebla and fell in love. They are the bomb. I will have to try them out now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice