Hi Im new to this board, Please give me some advice re Cancu

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Newtraveler, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Newtraveler

Newtraveler Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Firstly I want to say thanks to the owner who created this website, thanks, and thanks to the contributers, my question is Im going to cancun in Jan of this month for a week all inclusive on the Dos Playas accomodation but from what ive read its not the best and the beach is not the best compared to the other parts of the "number 7" strip of Cancun. Ive seen some fantastic pictures on Google on Cancun beaches and waves but them are more east towards the beach. Can you guys and girls please tell me if Im allowed to walk on the beach and enter via the entry points? and how much would the bus ticket cost to take me to the fancy parts of the beach and will the return bus take me back to my Hotel? :?

Im also wondering are they good restaurants near by that do good steaks and chicken? for a reasonable price, I also drink lots of water and hopefully this is cheap by the liter. So all in all I want to go to a restaurant daily for a good meal nearby my hotel, I want to explore the nicer ends of the beach daily mabie and see Coco Bongo, not im not a clubber person, In fact I dont like clubs, booze and cigrettes but on this ocasion I want to check out Coco Bongo to see whats so good about it. And mabit visit Market 28 via Bus. So how much spending money do you think I would need for a week? all Inclusive and In Pesos, £1 gets me about 16-17 pesos as a guide :-|

thanks for reading my post, its very late here God bless thanks to those who post replys

P.S. Im 24 years old and first time traveling alone

John

2. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome to the board! I can't answer all of your questions, but I can give you a little information.

As for the buses, the last time that we were there it only cost 6.5 pesos for a one way trip. The buses in the Hotel Zone (the #7) run the entire length of the Hotel Zone. So if you were to jump on one at the closest bus stop to your resort and it was heading towards the Party Zone (the elbow of the 7), then you could technically ride the bus down the entire Hotel Zone and back up. That way you could ride the bus to one of the local beaches if you choose to do so. The bus is the most economical way to get around. The buses are marked with some of the stops that they go to on the front (ie: Walmart, Hotel Zone, Puerto Juarez, etc.). I do believe that the property behind all of the resorts are public, meaning that you can walk down the beach without any problems.

Here's a link that that I would recommend you checking out that could help you out as well. It contains general information that others have put on the forum... although I am sure you are pretty well informed, I suppose that you could never gather enough information to ensure the best time possible. There is also a link for a bus route map in there as well, so you can see what stops you might want to check out.

www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227

This link has the aforementioned bus route map, but it also has some information regarding what stops you may want for the Party Zone.

www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8735&highlight=bus stop map

Lastly, enjoy your trip!

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You might find this map helpful. You can see many Playas/Beaches named and located. The beaches at the top of the 7 are very calm while the waves are pretty cool at the long side of the 7. To me, Playa Delfines is the prettiest beach in the area. It is almost at the bottom of the 7.

The thing to remember is when you get off the bus on one side of the street you need to get back on across the street to go the other way.

http://mexico-on-line.com/cancun/cancun-maps/cancun-hotel-map.html

If you want reasonable priced food you need to go downtown. This time take the R-2 bus toward Walmart, When you get off at the Walmart stop look across the street and to the right and you will see a store called Elektra which is painted bright yellow and red. To the right of Elektra sitting back a tiny bit is Super Carnes. I ate there tonight actually and had a great ribeye. I usually get the Arrachera Platter which is wonderful. My freinds often get the Chicken Platter. That may not be the correct name but both are on the bottom of the left page when you open the menu. Platter = Pacquete is Spanish. Yummy and very reasonable. Usually 2 for 1 beers but the pacquete includes a soft drink or what we call agua fresca (try the Jamaica "Ha-MY-cah".

To get the bus back to the Hotel Zone you have to go over one street by Walmart and you can see the bus stop. Walk out to the street from Super Carnes, make a right. At the light by Elektra go right to the next light. At that light, make a left and cross that street and then cross again at the other side. Walk about 100 yards and the bus stop is just before Walmart.

4. Newtraveler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I want to firstly say thanks for your wonderful helpful information, Im just printing it out as I type this, as you can see Ive never traveled before and im going straight in the deep end :shock: but Yes ive heard the Buses are cheap, I will need to visit walmart for water bottles and fruit and other canned food. I just hope my Hotel Dos playas will allow me to bring in food into the Hotel. Thanks My main concern now is the beach issue, from what ive been told the beaches are restricted to guests in particular hotels but I need to find a bus that goes along a nice part of the beach not too far from my hotel is based I dont want to get lost. Thanks once again

5. Newtraveler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for the link, yes I may have to visit town to get good reasonable priced food, do you know how much a taxi from walmart going back to the hotel zone would be? because I may be full with groceries and bus would not be convinent, can you tell me the price of the chicken or regular steak meal? and what currency did you use in downtown? Pesos I assume. When you reach in the hotel zone is it easy to spot your hotel or do you just write your hotel name on a piece of paper and show it to the Bus driver or Taxi driver? Once again thanks for the link and the info :D

6. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can get off of the bus at either Parada (bus stop) #17 heading South or #20 heading North for Playa Delfines. Hopefully these links will work:

www.themap-cancun.com/cancun/popups/p20.htm

http://www.themap-cancun.com/cancun/popups/p17.htm

Stop 17 is the stop after the Hilton Golf Course and 20 is the stop past El Pueblito (hotel). The Hotel in the Parada 20 picture is the Hilton.

You can try to tell the bus driver that you want Playa Delfines and hopefully he will remember. Worst that you can do is go past it and get off the next stop and walk back. Just be careful if you cross Kukulkan Blvd. (the main street (four lane) in the Hotel Zone), you will not have the right of way as a pedestrian. Ha!

Once you get down there and ride the bus once or twice down the Hotel Zone, you will have it mastered and have no problem getting where you want to go.

I'm also sending you some information via PM as well which might be useful.

7. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dont trust the bus driver though. I had asked one to stop at Delfines and he cruised right by. Just watch for the hilton and push the get off button after you get by there.

I pasted a link on your other thread with a pic of Defines.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Newtravler. A taxi from Walmart will probably cost you $120 pesos as (a) it is a sitio, or taxi stand, and (b) you will be looking and acting like a tourist and they will get you for all they can. The bus is still the best deal and when you walk to the street from Walmart the bus stop is about 20 yards to your left. If you get your groceries to the street you may be able to flag a taxi down and if you can get to your hotel for $60-$80 you will have done good.

I think it's about $120 for the arrachera or chicken paquete and that includes a soft drink and a refill, choice of baked potato or grilled onion, tortillas, sour cream and half an avocado. Taxes are always included in the menu prices. My Ribeye I think was $200 pesos including tip. I think the base price was like $120 or so and making it the paquete was $40 more, then the tip.

As to the beaches, the km markers look like US mile markers, usually in the middle of the boulevard but can be along the right side. If you get near the front you can tell the driver where you want off but they speak little or no English so that is not foolproof. Best bet is to know where you want to get off and then get off in the manner of the other passengers. Watch and learn.

I see you got a recommendation about the beach near the Omni. If I was going to go that far I would go to Playa Delfines. If I was going closer I would go to the beach across the street from Sr. Frogs which is just past Party Center. If I just wanted to go to the beach and stay close, there are a couple of public areas in the area of the big Mexican flag which is impossible to miss and I guess would be about km 6 or 7.

9. Newtraveler

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have been a great help for me, I printed all the information for further reference, I want to say thank you to everyone God bless. Thanks..

10. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just to add to the great advice you already recieved above from TJ and others, the restaurants in the vicinity of your resort include:
    Rio Churrascaria-Brazilian BBQ
    Dolcemente Pompei-Italian
    La Palapa Belga-Belgian/French

These three establishments are very good, and do cost more to dine than if you go to Centro (Downtown), but they are worth keeping in mind. I also agree that if you are looking for an excellent beach in Cancun's Hotel Zone, Playa Delfines is a great choice. You may also like to visit Playa Marlin. The beach is located behind the Kukulcan Plaza shopping mall's north entrance, where you will find public beach access.

Have fun planning your vacation,
    212eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice