Hey Kris - Re: Electric Bills

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Dec 26, 2006.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am in Florida at the moment (coming back on Jan 25) but I believe this is pretty close to the truth.

There is one rate for the first 500 kwh;
    From 500 - 900 the rate per kwh goes up a bit;
    Over 900 kwh and the rate is deadly.

The last bill was for something like 1,072 kwh and the bill for the last 172 was more than for the first 900.

Be careful but be cool.

You can also take the meter out and put it in upside down and it will run backwards. LOL! We did this in our college days. The digital meters took this opportunity away.

2. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks TJ...I've been told of unofficial ways to have a lower bill. Right now, its not a problem, as its been pretty cool. But, as it begins to warm back up, I will most definitely take measures to ensure a lower bill!! Enjoy Florida!

3. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    with regards to electric bills...

i have never had a terrible compared to the states bill but, my highest was probably 5000 pesos for two months...

the thing that kills me is the rates vary by time of the year.. i am sure that someone on here is much smarter than me and can explain it better but, t.j. is right..

the first x amount of watts are subsidized greatly
    the next x amount are subsidized less
    and after that it is full boat..

i have noticed either a variation in rates or a variation in levels over the last four years as i can use less electricity than the month before and pay more (and the reverse)....

if you only have one ac and it is relatively new don't worry.....

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get someone in your household a job at CFE - they get free electicity, which is why they all run icecream shops out of their front rooms.

5. Kris in Cancun

Kris in Cancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ahhh...well, I don't think they'd hire my 3 lb dog, and he's the only other person in my family...so, I guess, no ice cream shop for me!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drewbert - Can I quote you on that? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good ol' ^#*$ing CFE

The rates and the amount of subsidized usage seems to vary arbitrarily during the year. Sometimes the first 300 on my bill are the low rate and sometimes its more like 50, then the median rate will also change, so I have given up trying to figure it out.

I’m currently in the thrawls of a battle with them over THEIR screwups but of’ course its MY job to straighten it out…..so let me rant a little bit.

They royally F#$#’d up my bill 2 cycles ago, charging me for 3000 something kw’s. After I walked outside and read my meter it was clear that I had only used about 400 since the last bill. We called and they sent some cross-eyed idiot out to read the meter again. This guy wrote down the reading at 1000 less than it was, thereby making the usage amount a negative number. Next thing you know I am accused of tampering with the meter and have to wait around for an “inspector” to come by so I can be thrashed for my thievery. After an hour of me holding my tongue the “inspector” changed my meter and explained that they would monitor the usage over the next billing period and then estimate my correct usage for the current bill, and then I would be billed for both periods on the next bill. Of’ course, a few days after the crazy bill would have been due, they promptly cut my power. Two days later after THREE trips to the CFE office, my power is restored. Then in November I get my “corrected” 10,654 peso electric bill. WTF!!! Once again I went to the CFE office, this time the guy saw that there was a screwup and told us to come back in a week (2 days after it would be due) to get the corrected amount. So, on the morning they cut my power, we go to the CFE office to get the total. Except, they hadn’t done anything, my case hadn’t even been looked at, and the girl behind the counter could not have cared less or been less helpful. The next day we talked with a girl with an IQ higher than her age and agreed on (a still WAY high amount, almost double what I used) payment, and at this point I was willing to pay rather then continue with their games. So I paid, then just a few days ago, my power was cut off again….it seems I still have a 8000 peso balance on my account. LOL So we again went to the office and convinced them to turn the power back on, which they did (shockingly that same night around 2AM). So Now I sit around waiting for the next time they cut it off and/or the next bill to come so we can start it all over again. I’m about ready to hire someone to just run a line rather than deal with them anymore…..God I luv Mexico….

O' and FYI, on Tuesday, one of the papers had a thing about the rates going up 20% this year.

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you know the Profeco? They have a representant full time there !!!

Two years ago, they cut the power maybe 10 times in a day (they were testing!!!), it was before Wilma. I called several times, the girl at 071 told me that it was over, I could turn my computer on. Of course it was not. They screwed up the computer. I made a complain and I won :D Of course I had to fight, but they paid. But maybe it is since this time that my computer is a bit crazy and moody LOL!

I have the name and the number of the "jefe". Send me a pm if you need some help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice