Help with the Solymar

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by MOTTSI, Jan 29, 2007.

1. MOTTSI

MOTTSI Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been lurking on the site for about a week and have found it to be quite useful. You folks are great.

I have a couple of questions:

I have booked a Condo at the Solymar for March 20 to 27th. I have read many negative reviews about the hotel side and have heard great reviews about the condo side. The reviews are from TripAdvisor. We got a great deal for the condo(under $500 for the week). At least I think its a great deal, I was told that it faces the ocean and the view is spectacular.

Have any of you stayed in the Condos at Solymar?

They offer an all-inclusive deal for $35 a day. I can eat and drink $35 worth a day, but was wondering about food quality and booze selection. Do any of you know? I was also wondering if you had to pay for a weeks worth and it averaged out for $35/day or if you could just buy it by the day.

I apologize for all the questions, I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks for the help
    Mottsi

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Welcome aboard. Doing a search for "Solymar" will get you some threads discussing the topic. As you say, it will get mixed reviews depending on some things.

Send a PM to vrodgers, as she goes just about every year to that place:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24362

3. MOTTSI

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I looked for a search button, but I am half blind sometimes and missed it.

Thanks though for the direction.

4. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  5. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For what it is worth, I recently stayed at Solymar and loved it. That said, I stayed in a beach front villa NOT the main building. I did tour some of the condos in the main building and I found the ones that face the ocen to be pretty nice for the price. Really all depends on who you rented from and where the unit is located. In my opinion, you should rent from the people who live onsite - otherwise it is a crapshoot. The reality is, the difference in price from a "good deal" and knowing what you are getting is pretty small. Not worth the gamble to me.

I would NEVER do the all inclusive because I like to mix my own drinks and either make my own food in my condo or go out to eat. I ate at the restaurant ONE time for lunch in the 15 days I was there and it was really low quality. I certainly do not think the all inclusive option is a smart decision.

I loved the Solymar. As a matter of fact we went to spend a few days at the Royal Islander because we heard so many good things about the Royals but I did not last 5 minutes there. I felt like I was at an old folks home in Florida. I took the cab back to Solymar!

6. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As Michael indicated, we have stayed at the Solymar for the last four years and have absolutely nothing but good things to say about it.

Staff always friendly and helpful, rooms always clean, great showers, amazing views of both sunrise over the ocean and sunset over the lagoon.

Fun entertainment staff during afternoons poolside, arrangements for club tours at night. Beach volleyball too.

Beautiful beach to walk along. Lots of palapas to sit under and showers to wash sand off feet.

We rarely use restaurant so have not gone all-inclusive. Make full advantage of kitchenette in room and cook our own breakfasts and snacks through day, then restaurants at night to experience a variety of Mexican delights.

Small gift store offers snacks, water, souvenirs, and some toiletries and medications.

Who did you book through? If you want to pm me with more questions, go for it! Take a look through my pictures, many are taken at Solymar to give you an idea of the beach!

7. MOTTSI

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the info and help raretail and vrodgers.

vrodgers I have sent you a pm.

Thanks again everyone,

Sean

8. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Response sent to your yahoo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice