Help with finding good furniture stores, please

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by carlosjm, Feb 16, 2008.

1. carlosjm

carlosjm Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello one and all:

After a long search I have finally bought my own little piece of paradise in Cancun. I bought a 3 bedroom condominium in a yet to be finished complex called Bella Vista Towers in Puerto Canun. This project is expected to be completed in December of this year 2008 and I am very, very excited about it.

In the mean time I am building myself a budget to furnish it. I am not looking for anything fancy or expensive. In fact, I am looking for something similar to what I would find in Ikea here in the States. I am estimating that I would probably spend between $900.00 and $1,200.00 per living area (each bedroom, dinning room, living room, etc...) Is this estimate feasible? Or am I under-estimating?

Can anybody recommend a couple of good furniture stores that would have contemporary styles of furniture and of course reasonable prices?

Of course, for minor appliances like coffe makers, blenders, dinning sets, glassware or for other items such as towel sets, sheets, etc.. I was thinking of such stores as Walmart, Costco or Gigante. But for major items
    what can you recommend? The only major appliance that I need to buy is a refirgetator.

I will be in Cancun for 2 weeks in April and I would like to start looking around both for styles and for prices.

Many thanks for your input and help !!

Carlos

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  3. carlosjm

carlosjm Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thanks, Steve for the quick reply

Would you mind telling me where Telebodega is and
    how would I get there from the Hotel Zone? By the way, in April
    I will be staying at the Temptation Resort for my 8th. time

Thanks again,

Carlos

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Sorry, I intended to post directions - then realised although I can drive there I dont really know where it is other than "the other side of Lopez Portillo and by the old soccer stadium"

I'm sure one of the less directionally challenged locals will fill in with details once they see this.

Any taxi driver will know where it is too (telebodega will deliver, if you buy anything large), but just be careful of the price if going by taxi direct from the HZ, might be best getting there via taxi from downtown.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The quality of furniture at Telebodega is very low. Some items will be ok, others are nothing but junk (made of MDF). Telebodega is a decent place to buy things like brand-name TVs and appliances.

There are a number of Italian-style furniture stores in Cancun. Some are better than others. I recommend hunting seriously when you are here.

6. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a Telebodega on Chichen Itza.
    I acually bought my Couches and Chairs there and it is the exact same thing that Liverpool sells Boal Brand at almost half the cost, while there is alot of really UGLY stuff you can find some good stuff there .
    I also recommend looking at Costco. Azcue Muebles has alot but everything is made in China lots of MDF.

7. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, I think your directions are great! I got 'em!

The only thing I'd add is the street you take to get there...you want to go up Prolongacion Ave Tulum, and then once you pass Estadio 86, it's on the next block.

8. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Furniture

I would recommend the following places

Altimus - Plaza Nayandai - www.altimus.com.mx
    Azcue - Plaza Las Americas - their website seems to be down www.azcue.com.mx
    Dettaglio - Plaza Paseo Cancun - www.dettaglio.com.mx
    Sergio something or other in Grande Plaza Cancun, Avenue Nichupte.

I've been to all these places recently and you will find something within your price range easily. They have nice stuff too.

Costco and Sams have fridges etc for good prices.
    There's a huge new Home Depot on Avenida Kabah for other things you might need.

Good luck

9. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You may want to check the furniture at Costco and at Wal Mart. They have really good quality furniture, and if you wish to return it due to any damage, Costco will take it back no questions asked at any time, and Sams is good for at least 90 days of return. There are many stores in Cancun that would be good for you to use and actually if you take the bus from downtown at Wal Mart towards the hotel zone and just look for the stores from the bus window. I know you will pass by at least 3-4 of them for sure. If you go to Temptation resort there is also a furniture store at the end of the Isla Mujeres Terminal by Dos Playas (??). They are decent priced and actually nice things in the store. Also there is a store across the street from Market 28. Do not remember its name but there is a nice woman there who can help you out as well.

10. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the furniture store in Mercado 28 is called Muebeleria Lourdes.

I bought some pieces there that I thought were pretty, and the table fell apart! I did buy more economical things (they have a wide spectrum of prices) so maybe that was why.

But the owners are very nice and they let me make payments on the furniture (no interest) and I basically set the terms and length.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice