Help with a bet/question

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Red2PartY, Aug 15, 2005.

?

Appreication day at the Movies OR YMCA

1. Movies

100.0%
  2. YMCA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Red2PartY

Red2PartY Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, I have a question for you guys!
    I work for a newspaper and am organizing a day for the newspaper carriers. We normally have it at the YMCA where they have access to the swimming pool, the gym and racket ball courts. We get pizza and have a raffle. It's usually on a Saturday evening from 6-9.
    OR we can change it to a Saturday morning movie around say 11ish. We can have the theater to ourselves, each person would get popcorn and soda and see a selected movie. We would hold the same raffle once the movie has ended.
    I have a bet with my boss on this - I feel one way and he disagrees.

Our carrier force is about 80% youth & 20% adult.
    My question is what do you think would be the most popular option.

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Movies would be fun, but everyone would have to want to see the same movie. YMCA offers more options for differing ideas of fun.

3. Carole

Carole I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I agree with Michael - I voted YMCA

4. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YMCA as well... besides, if you're throwing a work party, don't you want people talking and interacting? Kinda hard during a movie.

If you're looking for other ideas, when our office use to organize events for us, they tried to focus around team building events...

-Paintball (always a favorite)
    -Laser tag (that way people could invite their kids)
    -Olympics (basically an outdoor BBQ with drinking games)
    -Palladium (like a big arcade with other activies; go-carting, rock climbing...)

5. Red2PartY

Red2PartY Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone so far. Looks like i will be getting a night out of drinks on my boss :D I agree that the YMCA is a much better option.
    Thanks for the ideas Waste, we have to watch out for a lot of those things though-first off we have a lot of youth atendees, so drinking is out. Also they're not 'employees' of the company, they are independant contractors for us, so there's liability issues too.
    We are going to have it at the YMCA this year (I got my way) but we're going to take a vote/poll this year and see who is right-I buy the night of drinks if he wins & visa versa.
    Thanks again, I look forward to seeing what others vote too!

6. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely the YMCA.

Karan

7. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I voted YMCA too for the interaction. That's what parties are all about. Doing the movie thing would be like giving them a ticket with a popcorn coupon and say.. there you go!

Enjoy a drink for me. :D

Jamie

8. Sparkey

Sparkey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I once worked for a company that held their summer picnic at Six Flags Great America. Except they didn't plan any get together with the employees. All you did was go to the park with your family and go home.

We say they did it so upper management wouldn't have to mingle with the little people. It was that kind of company.

9. TexasCouple

TexasCouple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I voted YMCA also – due to the interaction.

Sparky, I didn’t realize that they had a Six Flags in Chicago. I had assumed that it was a local thing due the “Six Flags” referencing the six flags that have flown over the state of Texas (Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederacy, and The United States)

I dun did learnt something today.
    Marsh

10. Mikey

Mikey Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After the junk bond scandle, which gave the owner of the parks a chance to build a lot of rides. Six Flags came close to closing up, then about about 10 years ago, Waner Brothers bought it out then a couple of years later it was sold to another company, which has done a lot of buying and upgrading.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice