Help Wanted: U.S. Consul in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Jim in Cancun, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LoL So even the US government doesn't have the patience to deal with Cancun's immigration office. :roll:

As for the pay, the starting pay listed on the state dept. website is $27,026 but its called FS not FZ (FS stands for "Foreign Service" so I'm thinking the Z might have been a typo).., but they may provide some sort of expense account. Either way, I think it sounds like mostly a paper pushing job, but it could prove to be a good starting point for anyone who has higher ambitions.

Link to the State Dept. 2009 Salary Chart;
    http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/113576.pdf

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That works out at about 30,000 pesos a month right?? Wow that's pretty good for a monday to friday job here - I'd do it - sounds cushy. :)

3. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When it involves federal positions, the U.S. Government usually gives preference to those who have served within the military. A perk if you will for serving your government already. The same applies when testing for a position. You receive five bonus points for government preference and ten points if you are a disabled veteran. Just something they do.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and rightfully so I think.. after all if you've risked your @$$ for your country, shouldn't you be rewarded with a little bit of an advantage when it comes to getting a government job?

With the sad state of the VA and all the traumatized ex-military now days, it seems the least (and it is about all they seem to do) the government can do to try and keep them employed... and even thou they are supposed to get preference, that's no guarantee of work...

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Personally, I'd say no. I dont agree with positive discrimination in any form. Just the best person for the job.

Spent far too long in my previous life interviewing unsuitable candidates for jobs they weren't really qualified for but who happened to tick one of the minority boxes for a guaranteed interview, effectively reducing the shortlist of candidates we could choose from. Not exactly the same scenario but similar.

I can't see how someone who changed helicopter rotor blades, cooked the lunch or manned a Humvee turret should necessarily be given a head start over someone who didnt in a job such as this.

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure, that why it says "When equally qualified" they are not going to give the job to a veteran for that fact alone when there is a fare more qualified person available.

If you have two persons, with more or less equivalent education, experience, and skill, where one has served before, then theoretically, the job should go to the veteran, but as with all things, in the end it comes down to who rubs the boss the best way, regardless of what the "rules" are.....

I don't see it as discrimination any more than favoring a college graduate over a non-graduate would be... they both might have the same skill, but one of them has the accomplishment to their name, just as serving in the military (without problems/honorably) is an accomplishment. Plus when your talking about a government job, in a roundabout sort of way it equates to past employment with the same employer.

Now, hiring based on race (affirmative action) I don't really agree with, but I do understand the idea behind it.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I see what you're saying.

However, the "qualifications" listed are not very difficult to meet. In my old role, meeting the qualifications meant you got shortlisted whereas those that didnt got thrown straight out.

So, we end up with a shortlist of "qualified people" which in our case often ran into the hundreds and then it's at that stage you apply the "if equally qualified they get an advantage" part which for us meant a guaranteed interview (different wording but probably a similar principle). Far surpassing minimum requirements did not (hypothetically) trump being a one armed black lesbian who met minimum requirements. Now, you can only interview x amount of candidates in the time available so we end up having to interview people who clearly wouldnt get the job and not interviewing others who had a chance.

Anyway, totally different job, different country but still Govt and that was 5 years ago so maybe I ought to finally let it go! But it's good to bitch about some of the reasons I quit the rat race and moved, and this discussion gave me an opportunity. So, apologies for the rant :)

8. aaamigo2203

aaamigo2203 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was starting to think the FZ was "For Zetas" :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice