Help: Spanish Job Websites and FM3

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cancungrl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cancungrl

cancungrl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Everyone!

I am a Canadian woman finishing up my second degree in Finance. I'm moving to Cancun in July for about a year maybe longer depending on finances. I'm coming down for a pre visit 1st week of May to hopefully get a job offer so the FM3 process will be a little easier and I'll have some peace of mind.

I'm looking on the novedades, laboral.com.mx and computrabajo.com websites for jobs. I can read spanish (my verbal fluency is semi but I am taking lessons) but when it comes to writing resumes and cv's, my grammer could definitly use some work. I was wondering if it would be ok to contact employers with an english resume.. I've been told Mexico is a little slower on internet savviness with regards to this kind of stuff. Are my best bets to just go everywhere in person when I come down in May? Do they hire you on the spot if they like you? Also I was wondering if the salaries posted are bi-weekly or monthly, does anyone know??

One more thing, say I get a job that is not exactly my first pick but one that I can obtain a FM3 for. And then say that I find another job, do I have to reapply for another FM3 for the second job? If anyone could help me out or give me some good job leads or tips on jobs to stay clear of, that would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks! so much!!!

~Lyna

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You need to wait until you get here and hit the streets with a curriculum in both Spanish and English. If you change jobs, you do not necessarily need a new FM-3 but something that takes just about as much time and money and that is a change of employer.

Here is another link where people post local jobs available as well as other info also http://www.cancunassist.com/newforum/viewposts.cfm

3. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much, I found a lot of good info on that link. Could someone tell me if the salaries posted on the websites I mentioned are weekly or bi-weekly? I know most wages in Cancun are not that great...

Also does anyone know where I could find a useful resume translator? I just wouldn't want to hand in a shoddy spanish resume full of grammer and spelling mistakes lol !!

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Usually the salaries listed are monthly, if it says "semanal", it's weekly, "por mes" monthly, if it doesn't say, I would assume monthly.

Check out this post.... http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41075..... there is contact info for Daneen, she does translations and offers Spanish classes and may be able to help with a Spanish resume.

Good luck!

5. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh thanks so much for that!

6. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh one more thing, how does the job process work over there, the same as in Canada? ie. you send in your resume, they give call you for an interview, they call in a few days if they decide to hire you etc. I've been hired on the spot a few times here, is that how it is in Cancun? I will only be down for week for my preliminary visit and ideally I would like to have a job offer before I leave...

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My guess is that you will get an immediate job offer from one of the companies on the other website and with an English resume.

8. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh great! thanks for your help!

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cancungrl: I had some issues when it came to emailing for available positions - usually I would never recieve an answer at all, regardless positive or negative.

I found out that simply going around and speaking directly to HR worked better.

At first I made the mistake of leaving my resume/CV with the person at the entrance/gate, and found out later that they didnt deliver my resume/CV since I didnt "pay" them a minumum 50 peso fee(read: bribe).

Thats when I pretty much demanded to speak directly to the HR manager and hand over my documents myself.

Worked out perfect.

Cheers

10. cancungrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi rawkus,

lol thanks so much for the tip, I never like to leave my resumes with the receptionist anyways but thats definitly good advice, do you have any other tips that might help put things in my favor??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice