help: sept, AI, adults, good beach

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by pvsteph7, Jun 29, 2008.

1. pvsteph7

pvsteph7 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm going to Cancun (never been), late sept this year. me and my husband (in our 30s), want a nice hotel, some nightlife, but not craziness with drunk co-eds til wee hours of the morning, and a good beach. A few questions, and any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

-is late sept going to be a problem weather-wise? i hear something about hurricane season? eek!

-which all inclusive would you recommend? looking at le blanc, royal, excellence playa...along those lines in terms of quality/star rating

-which part of the "7" of the hotel zone would you recommend? we're looking for good beaches, some waves, but i hear the east caribbean side is kind crazy with the waves? should we stick with the north side, but if so, will be it really noisy because that's the party center?

thanks in advance!

2. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My opinions:

1. Late September is a great time to go to Cancun, especially if you'd prefer something a little more low key. The co-ed's are in school at this time. There is action to be found if you want though.

2. I lived in Cancun in 2002, and a hurricane came near us on like Sept. 21 that year. So yes, that's a possibility but it's RARE to happen. My hurricane Isidore was absolutely nothing like THE hurricane Wilma. My experience was just some heavy rain, some wind, and much bigger and stronger waves. I still went to work at Slices (a covered outdoor bar) that night and had a blast! People were still out and about. To sum it up: don't let hurricane season deter you!!! Like I said, hurricanes are rare... and IMO you should get some great service at that time as it's low season.

3. Unfortunately I cannot opine on this myself, but do check in the Hotels board located immediately under this Cancun Info board. There are individual threads for every hotel it seems. Steve (CC's owner) started each thread with basic info and people have expanded on each over the years with their reviews. You may find answers there.

4. As far as location preference on the 7, I actually DO prefer the east side over the north side! The north side pretty much had NO waves at all the whole 4 and a half months I was in Cancun, except for the couple days surrounding the aforementioned hurricane. The east side has waves, yes, but they are the perfect waves to play in. They are not huge or overpowering, but there are definately waves. Note that my experience mentioned just now was way before Wilma. Much about the beaches changed then, so it seems my info may be outdated. Guess that means I need to go back! Keep in mind when you read about the waves on the east side that wave strength varies big time when storms are brewing, even if the storms are far away. Dean took out a town well south of Cancun last year (on my birthday and screwed up my honeymoon cruise plans!) There was an impact on the waves in the Cancun area from it. The waves in a storm still do not get like Hawaii size though. :D

3. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Waves on east side

I have one thing to add, but it might just be the hotel. We just got back last week from a trip to Canun (I know, I still need to write my trip report) and stayed at the Gran Melia. This was our fourth trip at the Gran Melia, and this time, we didn't feel like we could go in the water even. When we first stayed there back in 2001 I think, it was calm but there were waves and you could be in it. Then the next time we were there, it was after Hurricane Wilma and the waves were bigger but it was perfect to be in and play in. That year our kids were with, ages 9 and 7 that year, and they had a blast. Then in 2007 we went back again, and the waves were bigger, but you could still be in the water, but our weather wasn't that great so I am not sure how to compare the waves. This year now there was a sign posted that said use extreme caution, rocks in the area. (which that was never there before) My husband's friends were with us, and they thought the waves were crazy and didn't feel safe in there. (and they are "tough" guys)

Now, that is just the beach in front of the Gran Melia, which is further down on the long part of the 7. I would be curious to know what other people say about the east side too, we are going back next year with another couple to celebrate wedding anniversaries, and may consider the top of the 7 instead. We want a swimming beach, and now our favorite hotel doesn't have that.

Not sure if this helps at all, but it is just an example of one of the beaches on the east side.

Enjoy your trip, we love it in Cancun. This was our 6th trip and had a wonderful time. We stayed part of the time on Isla Mujeres which has very calm water and enjoyed that too.

4. jeffNalisa

jeffNalisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    We just got back from the Royal and the beach was one of the better in that area of the HZ. We were in the water most of the week and it wasn't that bad. I highly recommend The Royal.

Another place that we were close to staying was The Sun Palace which has a HUGE beach.

5. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Were you in the East side of Cancun or the top of the 7? We are starting to try and figure out where to go next year, and we want to find a different hotel than the Gran Melia. Thanks! (sorry if I am high jacking this thread now) :D

6. jeffNalisa

jeffNalisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 1
    east side near the top of the 7. Most of the beaches were pretty dismal and while not the greatest beach in the world it was more than sufficient.

7. amers

amers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your pictures looked like people were at least able to be in the water. Looks like we may want to check out the hotels on the top of the 7, instead of the east side. Thanks for the info! Looks like you had a fun trip!!

8. Sunnydaze05

Sunnydaze05 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We used to stay at the Melia Turquesa, middle of the 7 before it went swankier and EP, loved the sound of the waves, but frankly they would knock you down both July's we were there. We now stay at the top of the 7, I believe they call it.... at the RIU Caribe, and stay in the water most of the time!We love the huge JR Suites with two sets of sliding doors facing the ocean. Island of Women is directly in front of hotel which breaks the waves.
    ! Trying to find a decent deal there now if anyone finds one...let me know! Thanks! :bigband:

9. fishing_magician

fishing_magician Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    in case you didin't book yet

make sure you get trip insurance as it is hurricane season and better safe than sorry first of all.... Second if you have not considered south of cancun consider it.... We've seen and been to the downtown resorts and we prefer resort like Adventura Spa palace as it has like 9 restarants on the resort, I think like 1500 rooms, the south pool I stepped it off this spring is 275 yards long.... The north pool is like 200 yards long. It has a snorkeling inlet so no "real beach" but man made and you can take the 10 minute taxi to Playa del carmen palace (playacar) to shop or use public beach, the other option is another sister resort at Xpuha (all part of palaceresorts.com) and it has a fantastic beach. You could stay there but, no night life. That resort is very quiet and more or less you are staying in the zooilogical park. WE almost stayed there our first trip but when we checked in we had some animals outside our room but, fenced in of course. Our room was an upper level and wanted lower. Ended up transfering to Adventura spa palace and just taxi or take free bus to the other palace resorts and use the facilities at each one for the day. Like Cozumel, downtown palaces (Sun, beach, cancun)

no matter what you will have a great time.... just pack light... you won't need it all. Guys need 3 pr shorts, 2 swim suits, slacks, 5 tee shirts/tanks, maybe 2 dressy shirts, flip flops, tennis shoes and a few socks.

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look, no need to get blindfolded.

It IS hurricane season from June to December. I have lived here for 9 years, some arrived in June, July (21, I don't remember the name, maybe in 2004?), last year Dean in August, some in Sept, and Wilma in Oct (20). Now Dolly 2 weeks ago. I was in the plane, coming back, scary! And every year they say it will be worse than the previous one!

So, YES there is a risk, but no need either to stay in your hole. We never know before what will happen even next week, where they will decide to go, what they will hit the worst. When they go a bit farther, it is only a storm in Cancun. It can be 100 kms away.... and you have only some rain. At least we know it a few days before. I guess there were some tourists in California a few days ago, it just happened, boom.

So, as Magician says, take an insurance (make sure it covers you for that, they don't all), and enjoy. You may have a great weather all the time. And for sure, it will be quieter than in spring break time.

I too, like the North of "7", Playa Delfines is wonderful, when there is no wind, most of the time there is the red flag. I like also Akumal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice