Help registering FM3

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,
    I'm helping a new arrival register their FM3 here that they got in the states. My understanding from previous posts that they will basically need everything all over again. True?

Also, does anyone have a letter rin Spanish equesting registeration of the FM3?

Thanks in advance.

2. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never done that, but my understanding is that you just have to take your (their) FM-3 to the Migracion office with proof of ID (passport) and they will stamp it. There is a time element involved with penalties, so it's best to do this ASAP.

This is also what I've heard from previous posts on another forum, but Cancun's Migracion office appears to be "different" in a lot of ways, sooo...

3. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got my FM3 in Atlanta....to regester it was just as much as a renewal.....basically start from stratch....and it must be done within 30 days of arrival in Cancun or you will be fined. At least thats how it was when i did it....but things change daily here...good luck

4. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess gene must be right. I just did a search, and there was mention of registration and the 30 day period, but nothing about the process itself. I wonder why one has to go through the whole rigamarole again in Mexico? Is this just another power-play, and way to get more money from you?

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As has been posted by so many of us so many times:

Mauricio Mendoza
    Email: maurris@hotmail.com
    Cell Phone: 998 159-1599

is worth his weight in gold, which he probably has by now, based on the number of recommendations he's received. Call him and get the definitive answer and then pay him to wade through the BS for you.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I understand it you need to get the front of the FM3 stamped by the agent who processes you when you enter Mexico, so if you fly in that would be the INM agent at the airport.

Then you have 30 days to register your address with INM in the downtown office. I wasn't aware that there was a fee. But I'm sure it's difficult, just because it's INM...

7. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with mixz1 , just pay Mauricio and let him deal with it

8. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Went through the process yesterday and it was really quite painless. Requirements were:
    Application form - check "other" and state for declaring address
    Copies of all pages of passport
    Copies of 1st 2 pages of FM3
    Letter stating that you are declaring your address
    Proof of address

Given a return date to pick up FM3 of 10 days

9. julietravels

julietravels Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FM-3 Registration - My Experience

I obtained my FM-3 in the states and went to the office here to register my address. It took 15 trips to finally get it done. Every time I went, they said, come back in a week, or 2 days, or 3 days. Then on about the 12th trip, they said that they had given it to my attorney weeks prior. Since I didn't have an attorney, I told them they were wrong. They were insistent and so was I. Finally, they realized that I didn't have an attorney and someone had "misplaced" my paperwork and documents. About an hour later it somehow appeared. Of course, I needed to return in a few days as it hadn't been processed yet. I have talked to other American's and Canadian's that had similar experiences of having been told to come back at least a dozen time. The one thing we all had in common was that we were doing it ourselves without an attorney. There really is no reason to have one, other than that it appears that you somehow don't have to keep coming back. I think it is the Mexican Government's way of ensuring job security for the local attorneys.

10. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine just finished registering her FM3 that she got from the consulate in Minnesota. She had problems like julietravels. It took two months and several trips to Immigration - just to basically register a current address. I had a similar frustrating experience the first time I registered my FM3 obtained in the U.S. :roll:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice