HELP!!!!! New FM3

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by purplevette, May 5, 2008.

1. purplevette

purplevette Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,

I just got my FM3 and I need a little help please.

I was told to check in within 30 days. When I turn in my paperwork how long does it take to get it back? I knew I had to check in but I didn't know it would take several days for the paperwork to be done. I thought they just stamped it and that was that. Now I found out I have to leave it . The problem is I am only going to be there for 15 days. Do you think that will be enough time to get the papers back?

Also when I leave do I have to do anything different at the airport? When I got my FM3 in the states they were not very clear as to what I needed to do when arriving and leaving Mexico. I was given the form to fill out for when I arrive this time ( by plane ) but in the future which form am I suppose to use? I was told to stand in the MX line at the airport. Is that what I should do?

All help will gratefully appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance for any information!!!!!!!

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unfortunately FM3 holders do not get to use the Mexican line. Some try, some get away with it, all think they they should get away with it. But you are not Mexican and the line is not for you.

When you enter Mexico with a brand new FM3 the INM agent should stamp the first page of it in order to make it valid. The agent will also stamp inside to show the date you entered Mexico.

Then you need to go to the downtown INM office to register your local address. I didn't realize that you needed to leave the FM3 when you do this. Maybe someone who's done this can verify that? Regardless it should not take more than a day or two, it's easy.

When you leave you need to go to the INM Alfa office at the airport (there's one in each terminal). You fill out the Salida y Regresa form, the agent stamps your FM3 and the form. One part of the form goes to the airline and one part goes to INM when you RETURN to Mexico (so you have to keep it until you come back).

Hope that helps.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Vette,

To expand a bit on what Rivergirl says about leaving:

1. To get to the IMM office in Terminal 3, enter the departure area, turn left toward the escalators, then turn right after the gift shop. Don't go on the escalator. Then take a right down a hallway and the office is the first door on the right.
    2. You do this BEFORE going to the checkin counter.
    3. The form you fill out when leaving Mexico is an FME and is red. You fill out the left side, then sign on the right side, give to the agent along with your FM3. Agent keeps a copy, folds one (usually) and tucks in the FM3, and gives you the final copy that you turn in when you check in.
    4. At sometime during this exercise I suggest you ask for an extra FME. This way, next time, you can speed up this process by handing in a completed form AFTER they give you the blank form.
    5. On your return to Mexico, you DO NOT fill out the FMT form that you get on the plane. When you get in line at Immigration you give them your passport, FM3 and the folded copy of the FME, which they keep.
    6. Instead of #4, you can also get an FME on the plane. This is the same form that a Mexican citizen, with a Mexican passport, fills out upon returning to Mexico. Again, grab one of these for your next trip out of the country.

I have no clue about the first part of your question. Just ask when you turn it in when is the best time to come back of even if you can wait for it to be stamped. That answer will be "no" but it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

How is the new house coming and did you finalize the sale of the apt. in SM 32?

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To get to the IMM office in Terminal 2, go to where you have to go through Security. Hang a left down that walkway, the restaurant will now be on your left. IMM is the last office on the right.

5. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, you do need to leave your FM3 with them while it's registered the first time - at least I had to when I did it. And it was not a smooth process - hopefully it's better now. It took me something like 8 or 9 trips to immigration just to register my address and I can't remember how much time but around 3 or 4 weeks.

I could swear there was another thread at one time about whether FM3 holders using the line for Mexicans in immigration at the airport that said the line is for Mexico residents, not citizens, and FM3 holders CAN use that line? Am I imagining that thread? Does anyone else remember it? Since I read (or imagined reading) it I have used that line when I arrive, including just a couple of days ago.

6. purplevette

purplevette Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New FM3

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Rivergirl for the info. You always give good information !!!!!!!!!! Does your husband work at the airport? You always seem to know what is going on. (Not trying to be sarcastic , its a good thing )

Thank you T.J. How did your pumpkin pie turn out??? No I am still waiting to close on the apartment. You know how long the process takes in Mexico to accomplish anything. MANANA !!!!!!!!!!Thanks again for the detailed information. Maybe I won't get too lost. Just kidding great info.

Thank you CancunGringa. Someone else said I have to leave it also. Maybe ( I HOPE ) things are different now and it won't take as long as yours did. Thanks again for the info.

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!!!

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringa - The INM agents used to let FM2 and FM3 holders use that line. And mostly now they don't. So the old thread isn't the issue. The issue is that INM is getting more rigid and uptight.

In fact, they are now so rigid at the airport that if you are rude to an agent, or drunk, when you come in they automatically reject you now.

And they are cracking down big time on bribery and corruption at the airport. They just threw the book at one agent. He got over 10 years in prison for taking a bribe from someone who wanted him not to stamp his passport when he came back from Cuba. The person doing the bribing got thrown in jail also.

So behave yourself with those INM agents. They've got a new boss and she's applying the law to it's full extent.

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good to know. When I've used that line I try to catch the immigration officer's eye when he looks over to wave the next person over, and I try to have a polite look and hold up my fm3 and point to it and shrug my shoulders sort of asking "Is it ok to be in this line?" Now that I know this I think I won't do it anymore - I don't want it to be misinterpreted as being presumptuous/rude that I have a right to use that line.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    About three weeks ago, I came in on a Sunday night with what seemed to be at least 4 other flights. The lines were the worst I had ever seen, and of course the line reserved for nationals was empty. There was an officer standing at the stanchion and I just smiled and waved my FM3 at him from quite a distance. He waved me on. I thanked him (in Spanish) and then thanked the official at the computer as well. I flew out of there at least 90 minutes ahead of anyone else on my flight.

My guess is that if you don't storm the line and just show your FM from where you're standing, all they can say is no.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It totally depends on who is working. Right now the big boss is not allowing foreigners in that line. But if she's not there at the time then you'll get what you get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice