HELP I NEED REAL MEXICAN FOOD!!!

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by DaKarchers, Dec 11, 2008.

1. DaKarchers

DaKarchers Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking for a good mexican food resturant, not the ordinary stuff you find in the hotel zone.
    I was told PERICOS was good food and a fun time.
    Any feedback would help.

2. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
  3. Bart/Annette

Bart/Annette Life begins at 40!!! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    We have tried and really enjoyed La Habichuela and La Parilla. Both in downtown Cancun, and genuine Mexican food. La Parilla is more relaxed, and La Habichuela is more romantic. Most everyone that I have talked to has enjoyed Pericos, although I believe more for the experience than the food or ambiance.

www.lahabichuela.com

www.laparrilla.com.mx

4. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    as far as real mexican food goes - wow - thats a hard one......as "mexican" food has gone through so many changes over the years....from the introduction of rice by the spaniards, beef from the texans and sour cream from the germans (as well as numerous other items from various cultures) - so what one might call "real" mexican food...........another might not.

hope this makes sense

been a lot of fusion over the years......so really just depends on what you are looking for and what you consider to be real for you :wink:

i wish you the best

rob and tonya

5. DaKarchers

DaKarchers Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mexican food

Not afraid of some carnitas slow cooked in lard, fresh warm homemade tortillas, stinky goat cheese, fire rosted jalapenos, fresh soaked and stomped beans, spicy salsa with ice cold beer to put out the flames. :breathefire:

Not asking to much :bash:

6. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    I HEAR YA :shock: :cool:

most people dont understand that..... .........what they typically would call "real" or "authentic" mexican food is truly very hard to find as various cultures have shaped and influenced this unique cuisine

as an amatuer (very amateur i might add) chef i have studied thoroughly and understand the variances of mexican food fusion over years..............and do respect that everyone on the planet has a different definition

you will love this........

had a guy (not naming names here) tell me (when he came to visit us here in dallas) that he wanted us to take him to an establishment where they served "authentic" mexican food -like a chimichanga - HOLY SH&^ - LMAO

i did not have the heart to tell him that it was created by accident in a tuscon rest. in 1929 nor did i have the nerve to let him know that almost every authentic (pre european influence) mexican dish had some level of cocoa in it

oh well

good luck in your search :D - the site owners wife........ janet.......may have some ideas on a place for you guys - as well

the best

rob and tonya

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Pericos is OK, but it's definitely tourist orientated despite being in a downtown location. Personally, I dont think the food that great and it's way overpriced imho. But it does have entertainment, which obviously bumps up the price.

If you're after real Mexican food (the stuff that the locals eat) then you need to venture further downtown or try out the street stands and smaller places that are not set up for tourists. Tacos Israel is right next door to Pericos and is the real deal. No frills, no entertainment, plastic chairs and tables, just food. I dont like Mexican food, but if I did this is one of the places I would go :)

8. Nurse Jackie

Nurse Jackie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You want real Mexican taco's try the van out side of coco bongos after the clubs!!! Lalo and I ate there almost every night :lol: Good Stuff

9. NickyD

NickyD I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey

There is a place that I went to while in downtown cancun. Almost set up like a diner but they are a chain. They have this stone building with a PINK neon sign. Does anyone know the name? It was pretty good

Nick

10. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1

yep - steve this one right outside taberna - did us really well :)

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice