Help Haiti from Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Jan 14, 2010.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all,
    The local Cruz Roja (Red Cross) has posted a list of items that they are collecting to send to the people of Haiti, please do what you can to help. They are located on Yaxchilan, near the Burger King.

Here's the link to the Facebook page or if you prefer, here's the list....

Help!!!!
    Necesitamos tu apoyo en el centro de acopio de Cruz Roja Cancun a beneficio de los damnificados de Haiti, ayudanos a recabar especificamente los sigueintes productos:
    Articulos alimenticios:
    Atun en agua, gerber, barritas energeticas, galletas, frutas y verduras enlatadas, arroz de bolsa de 1 o 2 kilos.
    Articulos no alimenticios:
    Pañales, papel higienico, jabon de baño, pasta y cepillo de dientes.
    Material e insumos medicos:
    Vendas, gasas, soluciones antisepticas ( isodine o jabon quirurgico), cubrebocas y guantes desechables.
    Medicamentos:
    Antidiarreicos: lomotil o treda
    Antibioticos: bactrin o ciproflox
    Antistaminicos: avapena o virlix
    Analgesicos: paracetamol, dolac o aspirinas

Las medicinas por norma internacional deben tener vigencia de por lo menos 6 meses a partir del dia de hoy.

Mil, mil, mil gracias!!!!!!

(translation)

Help!!
    We need your support at the collection center of Cancun Red Cross to benefit victims in Haiti, helping us to collect payable are specifically the product:
    Food Items:
    Tuna in water, gerber, energy bars, crackers, canned fruits and vegetables, rice bag 1 or 2 kilos.
    Non-food items:
    Diapers, toilet paper, bath soap, toothbrush and paste.
    Medical equipment and supplies:
    Bandages, gauze, antiseptic solution (Isodine or surgical soap), masks and disposable gloves.
    Medications:
    Antidiarrheal: lomotil or TREDA
    Antibiotics: bactrin or ciproflox
    Antistaminico: avapena or VIRLIX
    Analgesics: acetaminophen, or aspirin Dolac

Drugs by international standard should be valid for at least 6 months from this day.

A thousand, thousand, thousand thanks !!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you posted this CC.

Caritas is working with the Cruz Roja on the Haiti project, so you can also drop items for Haiti off at any Caritas location. Caritas' downtown location is on Calle Anona which is in SM25, just off Coba, basically right around the corner from Needless Things Bookstore.

Oficina de Cáritas Quintana Roo
    Calle Anona #32 SM 25, Cancún Centro
    Tel. (01) 998 8 98 44 05
    Tel. (01) 998 8 87 30 60
    emergencias@caritasqr.org
    info@caritasqr.org
    http://www.caritasqr.org

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want to make a financial donation to the Red Cross one sure fire way to do it is to call their US number and speak to a live person:

1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767)
    1-800-257-7575 (Español)

They have an automated voice donation system, but trust me, it is awful and if you make a mistake with one piece of data you have to start ALL OVER. Don't even bother with the automated system.

The Red Cross has an online donation form (below) but each time I fill it out I get an error saying my card is declined. When I called my credit card company they told me they were inundated by calls from cardholders with the same problem. Our cards are fine. The site has not been accepting cards properly.

So you can try the form but don't expect it to work:
    https://american.redcross.org/site/...n=form1&JServSessionIdr004=xuvznjpfb4.app195a

I scrounged around trying to get info from the Mexican Red Cross site, but the site won't even load properly for me. And when I found a Haiti Relief page there was a mistake in the URL and it would not load until I added a "%20" to the URL where someone had left a space in the original URL (spaces in filenames on Apaches servers are a no-no). In short the Mexican Red Cross site is a bigger mess than the American Red Cross site.

I'm astonished the the Red Cross can't get their web presence in order. Hopefully this is because they are so busy and so good at helping people that they just spaced their web stuff. But it literally took me 5 tries and over an hour to make a financial donation to them. Not good.

Anyway I just wanted to share what I went through.

If you want to donate money to the Red Cross you can call and do it, that does work.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
  6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Be very careful if you plan on donating to Haiti

Be very careful if you plan on donating to Haiti. This is from the Internet Storm Center.

Compromised web sites - Top 5 Google hits
    [​IMG]
    Compromised web sites - Top 5 Google hits

said by SANS :

Just when you think they couldn't possibly go any lower ... The bad guys behind the Rogue AV scam are heavily using SEO techniques to make links to their sites appear high on search engines. For example, when using Google to search for "haiti earthquake donation" top 6 hits (!) lead to compromised web sites which in turn check the referrer (they verify if you are coming from a search engine) and, if that is true, redirect you to another web site.

At the moment they are redirecting to scan-now24.com which appears to be taken down.
    As posted on numerous places yesterday – if you plan on donating be very careful about sites you visit.
    Source: Rogue AV exploiting Haiti earthquake

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks for that, Mixz1. It would be really annoying to try to do something, and then find you'd been deceived.

We gave to the UN, through the official UN website.

TraceyUK, medicins sans frontiers, is a wonderful organization, and also a good choice for donations, in our experience.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cruz Roja really needs volunteers to help out, especially on Monday and Tuesday, this is the message I received....

Help!
    Necesitamos voluntarios en el Centro de Acopio de Cruz Roja Cancun, especialmente el lunes 18 y martes 19, el horario completo es de 9am a 9pm
    Aunque sea un ratito ven a ayudarnos!!!
    Mil, mil gracias!

In another message they mentioned they are in special need of medicine....

Pls!!!!
    Pls! Necesitamos donativos de Treda, lomotil y ciproflox.
    Mil gracias,

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thank you, CC, for that piece of information. If I weren't working, today, I'd have been happy to join in.

I'm looking forward to hearing from those who managed to make it.

V.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, I know they need people everyday, they're open from 9 am to 9 pm.

We went to Soriana on Kabah today to purchase items for the Red Cross. They have a collection center set up outside the store, volunteers have printed lists of what they need. The volunteers stressed the need for medical supplies and medicines. Very easy to grab a list, fill the cart in Soriana and bring it right outside.

Just a note that we went to Walmart too and there is NOT anyone collecting there. I wonder if that will change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice