HELP FOR FAMILIES OF FIREFIGHTERS WHO DIED.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Jan 27, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There was a big fire at Plaza las Americas after midnight on Wed. 2 firemen were killed. The entire mall has been closed since. It apparently started in the sporting goods store near Sears and spread fast. That Is almost across the walkway from a fire about a year ago that destroyed 4 stores.

Friday they had the funerals and a long funeral procession. You could hear the sirens for 15-20 minutes. Around noon there were hundreds of people outside the fire station on Tulum and Chichen Itza paying respects.

My buddy here is a retired fireman and we are going to go see what we can do to help the families. We plan on going on Monday.

I don't know how to go about this but if anyone would like to make a donation please contact me by email. I will provide my Florida address and can promise that 100% of any contribution will go directly to the families. If you are in Cancun I can arrange for your donation to be picked up.

Thanks,

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not want to dilute the effectiveness of TJ's wonderful efforts here. But in addition to the need to support the families of the fallen firemen there is also a need to help the rest of the firemen by insuring that they have the equipment that they need.

Below is a letter I received this morning about the present situation with Cancun's firemen.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Need of firefighters

After an email back and forth with jen, and she may have discussed with you, Rivergirl, as it was on this point, I talked with Eddie about it.

He told me he was going to make a point of contacting his colleagues back in South Florida, and seeing if he can arrange for used equipment for our guys here.

I think we are all on the same page here and I am happy that this tragedy has us working toward common goals.

I have had several emails and phone calls telling me that donations are available, being mailed etc. I am actually meeting one guy at La Taberna during the Super Bowl for a significant contribution.

Another person is thinking of doing something with his business participating in some way. The ball is now rolling and let's hope it picks up speed and we get some much needed financial help from as many
    Cancun lovers as possible.

I did a project like this after 9/11/2001 that was easier in comparison to this as I had a mechanism in place, a staff, and a common thread to who we were trying to help in the NYC area. It was wildly successful but has to work almost like a chain letter in some respects.

By that I mean if you think this is worthwhile, contact a few friends who just might help you out as a way to feel good about helping a fatherless family who is poorer than dirt.

Thanks to all and to Steve for letting this board help the community in this special time of need a couple of families who lost a hero.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice